Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectFirst off, thanks so much, Oak27, for putting this all together
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3028277&mesg_id=3028349
3028349, First off, thanks so much, Oak27, for putting this all together
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Nov-11-20 07:06 PM
Seeing the tangible evidence of The Lesson's favorites is cool to see.

The list seems to match 'the eye test' of what I sense about the tastes of the posters here. Lots of fondness for the 90's jazz based hip hop and great displays of lyricism.

It's surprising to me that there are only two albums from The Roots and none of them are post IH. A lot of people here really took to Game Theory and to see it not be on the list, along with Phrenology or even undun, is a bit of a shock. Also, while TFA is the album their most associated with by the general public, it was odd that the album got a lot of love here given that I don't think of TFA as an album for heads.

Nas getting two albums is a bit surprising given how little It Was Written is mentioned here. It is a great album and it used to be my favorite Nas album but I maybe thought I Am would make it above IWW. Some think of IWW as their favorite Nas album but the mention of the album is interesting.

I can't quite believe Jay-Z didn't get one album. I guess Jay lost. *rimshot* Since The Blueprint and The Black Album came after our musical tastes formed, it's not too odd that neither of those albums were mentioned but no Reasonable Doubt is a surprise.

No Kanye or Kendrick or Ghostface or Doom is stunning. Their peak obviously is past our formative stages but not including any of their work is stunning.