Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectEnjoyment and/or appreciation is yet another reason context is important.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3028021&mesg_id=3028245
3028245, Enjoyment and/or appreciation is yet another reason context is important.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Nov-05-20 08:21 AM
For instance, when you understand that 75 Bars by The Roots was released at a time when people were seriously debating that rappers should stop using the N-Word in their music and... let's say you were strongly on the "no" side of the debate, the song hits harder to you. You enjoy it more.
Otherwise, you could be thinking... "ok, so he says 'nigga' 1000 times. what's so great about that?"

For me, this song has something similar going on. I touched on the current era in reply #49. As I listened, it was kinda refreshing because I can't recall ever hearing a woman admit to these kinds of things, even though they're extremely common. Oddly enough, everything she said didn't sound like a man wrote it imo. Actually sounds like a woman waking up to her own BS. People do have the ability to reflect. Even beyond all the songs where men are blamed, #blameblackmen it so out of control that it actually became a pretty popular hashtag. Had it not been for societal context, I may have felt the same as you about the song. Instead it feels like balance or a small form of justice. Maybe you don't care about the context or aren't affected by it tho. That's your prerogative, but that doesn't make it bad art... just art that resonates in a space that you're not able to feel.