Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectPete Rock • PeteStrumentals 3
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3027703
3027703, Pete Rock • PeteStrumentals 3
Posted by hammam, Fri Oct-16-20 08:32 PM
Pete announced that it's dropping December 11th.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGadlZEprZs/

He dropped the first single "Say It Again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViZz7Q3scFU

this shit sounds awesome.

3027735, Pete Rock Said This Will Be The Last Petestrumentals Album
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Sun Oct-18-20 01:58 AM
What gets me is this isn't really like a collection of unreleased beats by him, it's a band covering his unreleased beats, I know it seems like I'm complaining cause Pete can do what he wants, but I don't feel like this album should be apart of the Petestrumentals series.

I wonder if Pete just doesn't want to give up anymore instrumentals cause after doing that album with Skyzoo maybe he feels he can shop those old beats to a bunch of newer rappers instead of the older 90's rappers who passed on them, who knows why.

I'm just kind of mad that he isn't going to release the instrumentals to all those unreleased remixes that he has leaked and put in mixes over the years, sheeiit it's still vocal versions of some songs off the first "Petestrumentals" that hasn't been heard by anyone, and the only reason I know cause Marley Marl mentioned it when he use to host those long "Future Flavas" shows online.

Anyway, the "Say It Again" instrumental is dope, kind of reminds me of when The Roots covered J-Dilla's beats, maybe this is what Pete was trying to go for, that same vibe; speaking of bands covering hip-hop beats, anybody peep Abstract Orchestra doing albums covering J-Dilla, Madvillain, & SV's "Fantastic" albums?

https://youtu.be/UKxYNY75QOg

https://www.discogs.com/Slum-Village-X-Abstract-Orchestra-Fantastic-2020/release/14755069

3028154, 100% agree and told one of the band members the same thing.
Posted by third_i_vision, Mon Nov-02-20 05:55 PM
Rap music in general is HORRIBLE with the “volume” titles, but this stuff doesn’t even belong in the same stable as Petestrumentals 1/2. Sounds fresh and should be marketed on its own merits.
3027988, Take my money now!
Posted by DJR, Tue Oct-27-20 07:57 PM
That first single is dope!!
3027989, Shit is fire...best producer of all-times
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Oct-27-20 08:05 PM
3028135, ?uest's whole "great but limited" take in regards to Pete hasn't aged well
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sun Nov-01-20 05:10 PM
3028139, A bunch a shit ?uest said hasn’t aged well
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Nov-02-20 08:39 AM
He loves the hot takes.

Pete was always the most versatile imo

He could do his own style

He could do Dilla

He could do Preem

He could do RZA

He can do shit like this new joint

Don’t understand when he was ever limited
3028155, ?uestlove described Dilla’s drum patterns as “drunk.”
Posted by third_i_vision, Mon Nov-02-20 06:00 PM
When I was like, 15 years old...that sounded cool and I nodded along. This is the drummer for The Roots and a frequent collaborator, so sure. “Drunk drumming.”

Now it just sounds misinformed if not downright insulting. A slap in the face to Jay Dee’s rhythm AND the effects of alcohol.

Does ?uest even party?
3028170, jeezy creezy
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Nov-03-20 06:48 AM

>Now it just sounds misinformed if not downright insulting. A
>slap in the face to Jay Dee’s rhythm AND the effects of
>alcohol.
>

It's a metaphor and it makes a lot of sense; I've certainly heard it or something similar elsewhere.

What is Dilla known for? That slightly behind/slightly ahead/weirdly quantized shit that makes a track feel just that little bit of off kilter, so that the different components of the rhythm don't align in the way you quite expect them to.

What does alcohol do? It literally fucks with your perception and response time so that your actions don't align with time in the way you expect them to.

Considering Quest would have meant it as descriptive (not pejorative), how on earth is that misinformed or insulting? It's dead on imo. Quest et al have more than their share of bad calls but I swear people go looking for shit to get offended by, lol.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3028209, 90% of Dilla’s catalog is perfectly “on-beat.”
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Nov-03-20 05:43 PM
This whole “slightly off”/“snare hits late”/“DRUNK DRUMMING” analysis that ?uest introduced has tainted how a LOT of people view Dilla’s beats.

His shit bangs and swings because it’s funky as hell, not because it’s “purposefully off-beat.” He was a one-man band with a LOCK on the rhythm elements. Back in the mid-90s ?uestlove was attempting to “sound like a drum machine” while Hub played boring shit on the bass.

He didn’t understand what Dilla was doing, but like all of us, he loved it. Thankful he gave him a push into the mainstream too.

3028213, RE: 90% of Dilla’s catalog is perfectly “on-beat.”
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Nov-03-20 08:56 PM
That's arguably his most identifiable sound though, like that's his influence. You can hear it in other producers for sure but also in, for instance, new jazz cats that incorporate a beat-oriented/hip hop element into their work. You hear the drums and the way the beat falls on their stuff - and I'm not just talking Glasper - and you *know* the Dilla genealogy of it. It's not even debatable.

You can argue over how extensive it *actually* is in Dilla's own work... 90% is an exaggeration but for sure it's not everything he did. But it's a lot of what made his sound, his sound.

> Back in the mid-90s
>?uestlove was attempting to “sound like a drum machine”
>while Hub played boring shit on the bass.
>
>He didn’t understand what Dilla was doing, but like all of
>us, he loved it.

Lol - weird take but ok.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3028211, I think they’re trying to get him posting again, lol
Posted by DJR, Tue Nov-03-20 08:05 PM
3028214, Maybe You Just Don't Understand The Meaning Behind What He Meant
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Tue Nov-03-20 10:11 PM
>This is the drummer for The Roots and a frequent
>collaborator, so sure. “Drunk drumming.”

Most people think that as long as the kick & snares fit in each bar that it's on time but that's not always the case when some producers don't make beats with the usual 2 bar or 4 bar programming, Mr.15 said that once J-Dilla made a beat that was a 32 bar beat loop, sometimes a beat can drift off every so few bars and comes back on beat on the one; but it wont be noticeable by many.

A good example is the beat J-Dilla did for Lawless Element "The Shining", https://youtu.be/hwcVXsyVFJs it's a 4 bar loop and the bpm, you can hear it get slower with each bar but it stays in the pocket.

I knew exactly what he meant by drunk cause I use to make beats on a sampler that was straight linear and had no programming on beat what-so-ever, I had do it all by ear for however long I wanted my beat to be, if you're a DJ you can hear how some 90's hip-hop beats wasn't always exactly on beat and drifted off especially a lot of the early Wu-Tang stuff.

I think it's better to call it "drunk programming" than off-beat programming, but he could've always said "loose programming" too; not sure why you think it would be offensive to say "drunk" though.

3028352, he said he was hamstrung without records
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Nov-11-20 07:27 PM
despite the fact that Pete was playing both bass and keys at the time he said that, but yeah I agree with what you said here wholeheartedly
3028146, super dope.. much needed too..
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Nov-02-20 12:12 PM