Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I'm begging you guys
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3027668&mesg_id=3027821
3027821, RE: I'm begging you guys
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Oct-22-20 12:41 AM
Weird pivot upcoming:

I have been walking around thinking and saying that Kendrick Lamar is the best overall now rapper in a walk since good kid. I listened to TPAB again recently to test some new headphones. Uh yeah. I’m fine with that assessment still. When I think of ‘rapper that can do everything’, I think of him first. And yeah, Thundercat, Terrace, and everyone involved with the music LACED him ridiculously on Butterfly. But still, he killed it as much as anyone has killed anything in the last decade at least. He’s special and like so many other special ones, I’m not sure if he’s appreciated enough. It got a little cool for a subset of folks to complain about him and I’m not here for it at all.

I bring this up cuz I don’t think I need every rapper to try to do everything. That’s the great thing about the Curren$y styled ‘this is my lane’ folks to me. They figured out something they can do well and they do the fuck out of it. This is fine if that’s what dudes have. I prefer that to every rapper ruining half of their albums trying to be Pac and Big type dudes who can go off over everything with everybody. Do we all remember that era? Where Memphis Bleek would be on weird songs with southern-sounding beats? Jada shows up with a bunch of folks singing through his album..shit, he’s still doing that and pissing me off.

I’m fine with the Griselda dudes spreading their wings a little bit to prove to themselves that they don’t have to Daringer and Alchemist it up for 34 minutes every single time out. But I don’t need Conway on a Teyana Taylor song anytime soon. And I wouldn’t want Roc Marciano on a Ella Mai remix either. He’d find a way to kill it cuz he’s great but I don’t need it!

>
>Please spend some time with Manger on McNichols by Boldly
>James.
>
>At least from "Mommy Dearest" on.
>
>It is hands down better than anything on Griselda that I've
>heard.
>
>The concepts, subject matter, production, emotion etc...its
>fucking amazing.
>
>
>If you don't like that type of rap, I get it. (Ironically, I
>gave Boldly another shot because Jamal Bufford (Buff 1)
>shouted him out as one of his favorite rappers)
>
>
>But anyone who thinks these Griselda dudes are making classics
>really needs to spend more time with this.
>
>If you like these monotone, one note dudes there is no reason
>not to love this album.
>
>
>**I posted in here because I just don't get the love this
>Benny record is getting. I was bored by the 4th song and went
>back to Black Thought. And like someone in here pointed
>out...Rick Ross?? lol
>
>I really think you guys will dig it if you spend time with it.
> Headphones strongly recommended.
>
>
>
>