Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: My intro to Quik was almost exactly the same....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3027385&mesg_id=3027616
3027616, RE: My intro to Quik was almost exactly the same....
Posted by Brew, Thu Oct-15-20 10:03 PM
>Except I was a few years older already. I'd heard a few Quik
>songs here and there but Rhythm-al-ism just hit right on time
>for me. The whole project was fire. The production is STILL
>stellar. It just hits different. I wore that shit OUT.

That's the thing about the production on Rhythm-al-ism, it's *timeless*. I play songs from Rhythm at parties/get togethers often (or at least I did, when we could do that sort of thing) and I never fail to get "who's that ?!" questions from people everytime I do. It's such an incredible album because it's still got hardcore, west coast elements.. but it's also obviously got such a groovy, r&b feel to it that's so universal. No matter who you are or what type of music you're into, you can get into some, or all of that album.

>The
>dickriding that Dre gets compared to the ghosting that Quik
>gets is insane to me. You put any of those dudes that Dre had
>on his albums on a whole album of Quiks shit he'd be getting
>way more shine. The closet he came was BlaQKout and Kurupt
>was so wack on that. It's a damn shame cause the beats were
>really good.

Totally. Quik laced that album with insane, unique beats and Kurupt was just a mess all over it. Too bad too cuz early in his career Kurupt was one of my favorites. He was the west coast Ghostface, spitting a bunch of nonsense but his voice, flow, and nonsensical rhymes were somehow still fire.

Anyway re: Dre I tend to agree with what I *think* is your overarching point: that Quik is more talented overall than Dre, but it seemed like Quik always preferred to stay in his "lane" anyway. Like for example he obviously had a *huge* opportunity to get some shine with a spot on The Black Album and blew it with the boring "Justify My Thug." On a similar but obviously much lower exposure level, I was also bored by his spot on Quality by Kweli. I can't remember the name of the song right now, but both songs were such cookie-cutter Quik beats I couldn't help but be disappointed.

>All that being said my favorite Quik album is probably Balance
>and Options. To me that's Quik's apex. He was hit his stride
>as a rapper and producer on that.

Balance & Options is fire - I love that album, too.

He hates it tho lol.