Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI've Always Liked Synth Based Music But It Was Certain Genres...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026962&mesg_id=3026975
3026975, I've Always Liked Synth Based Music But It Was Certain Genres...
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri Sep-18-20 10:12 PM
...that shouldn't have went so hard into using synths, like smooth jazz & r&b, I liked traditional jazz, jazz fusion, but when jazz really went into recording tracks digital instead of recording analog things got bright & bland, it lost it's soul in the late 80's to early 90's to me.

I was born when New-Wave rock was out and I still love that sound of rock artists using keyboards, drum machines, and sending their guitars thru effect pedals, & whatnot, I just didn't care for acoustic rock or grunge at all.

Also r&b was doing good with synths & drum machines but I remember when Stevie Wonder's "Characters" came out, it didn't move me much except for a few songs, but all the upbeat r&b coming out during that time I was liking but it got to be so formulistic while the dance remixes were on point.

To me it was always about balance between electronic & acoustic instruments that bring the perfect combination to a song/music, whether it was r&b, jazz, rock, house, techno, & etc.; I think country & blues were the last genres to hold out on going full digital/electronic which is why they didn't start to go the bland pop phase until the late 90's early 2000's.