Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectit's a tough balancing act right now, for sure
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026827&mesg_id=3026856
3026856, it's a tough balancing act right now, for sure
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Sep-14-20 11:00 AM
and like phenom noted, the pandemic almost certainly plays a role. But this is becoming a lot more common it seems, not just in mixtape culture but also beyond. The indie band Big Thief released two LPs last year and then a live EP when corona hit. Even though that Adrian Younge "Jazz is Dead" series is different artists, they're basically releasing one every two months and, because of Younge and ASM's production, there's a definite coherent sound throughout and it feels like one really large project.

>I guess coming from an editor's mentality, you never show
>EVERYTHING you have. It dilutes the message.
>Have Part 2 come out 2021 in the Spring,
>and tell me it wouldn't have MORE of an impact than right
>now?
>Especially when people are just getting Untitled.

I'm somewhat of this mind as well but I definitely get that the way we listen to and engage with music has changed and continues to change... there's more pressure than ever to stay in the public eye by making sure that you've got something new (which doesn't stay new for long). With a group like Sault, where so far every release has been really solid and where their fame is perhaps a bit unexpected, I'm not going to complain much and I'll figure out how to enjoy the music on my terms. But there's something to be said for the benefits of time and distance between releases, to let some anticipation build (and let folks rebuild their finances, lol).

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~