Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDilla getting sued over "Workinonit" (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026745
3026745, Dilla getting sued over "Workinonit" (swipe)
Posted by quikfit, Sat Sep-05-20 11:19 PM
Just read this on Pitchfork

https://pitchfork.com/news/j-dillas-10cc-sample-on-donuts-is-the-subject-of-copyright-infringement-lawsuit/

J Dilla’s 10cc Sample on Donuts Is the Subject of Copyright Infringement Lawsuit
“Workinonit,” which samples 10cc’s 1974 song “The Worst Band in the World,” was used by Netflix in two Dave Chappelle specials from 2017
By Madison Bloom

September 1, 2020

In 2006, J Dilla released his classic album Donuts days before his death. The LP featured a song called “Workinonit,” which samples 10cc’s 1974 song “The Worst Band in the World.” Now, Music Sales Corporation and Man-Ken Music, Ltd. (the latter of which owns the 10cc composition) are suing Universal Polygram International Publishing Inc. and E.P.H.C.Y. Publishing, for copyright infringement, Pitchfork can confirm.

According documents viewed by Pitchfork, the complaint was originally filed on March 20 of this year. In 2017, J Dilla’s “Workinonit” was used by Netflix in two separate Dave Chappelle specials from (Deep in the Heart of Texas and The Age of Spin). The complaint alleges that “Workinonit” “contains exact or substantially similar copies of multiple quantitatively and qualitatively substantial sections of the Composition,” adding, “J Dilla did not seek or obtain a license to use the Composition in any fashion.” The complaint also refers to Dilla’s song as “a work derivative of the Composition.”

The complaint also claims that defendants licensed the song to Netflix after “being informed of its infringing content.” Plaintiffs state that a demand letter was sent to defendants on July 18, 2017 regarding the licensing of the track, however “the parties have been unable to reach any resolution, thus requiring the filing of this action.”

Plaintiffs seek to order defendants to “destroy or deliver up for destruction all materials in Defendants’ possession, custody, or control used by defendants in connection with Defendants’ infringing conduct.” The cost of damages sought by the plaintiffs have not yet been determined.

3026757, But are they also suing the Dilla estate?
Posted by C. Thelonius, Mon Sep-07-20 07:34 AM
Seems like they're just suing Universal.
3026770, The suit is one thing
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Sep-08-20 05:24 PM
But the thought of the ruling ordering Universal to destroy either the masters of Donuts or the song in question is really troubling.

For the present, and future fans, to lose access to a tremendous work of art like Donuts would be a real loss for hip-hop.
3026771, Not surprising at all.
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Sep-08-20 05:30 PM
I wonder if they knew he sampled another one of their tracks on Donuts, or if this was on their radar strictly because of Chappelle.

Never really liked Donuts but it’s always been ripe for lawsuits. Were any of those samples cleared? Haven’t looked into it or checked the liners.
3026774, slight tangent, but
Posted by Options, Tue Sep-08-20 07:35 PM
I recently copped the vinyl release of Bandana and was shocked to see that the "piece of paper" inside listed all of the samples Madlib used. has that ever happened on a Madlib release before??

it really drove the point home to me just how much exposure cats like he and Dilla have garnered for themselves over the years. they're on radars now — and have to act accordingly.
3026776, Egon doesn’t cut corners.
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Sep-08-20 07:56 PM
He gets heat from the hardcore, weirdo collector dudes...but I like his approach. He and Madlib helped gain legitimate exposure for obscure artists across the globe. Licensing the music and reissuing their albums goes a long way.
3026780, ah.
Posted by Options, Tue Sep-08-20 10:34 PM
I hadn't considered Egon's influence.
yep, taking his reissue work into account, listing the samples makes perfect sense. and I doubt Madlib cares much about having his sources exposed. it's a good look for everyone involved.
3026785, oh that nigga cares
Posted by Airbreed, Wed Sep-09-20 08:03 AM
> and I doubt Madlib cares much about
>having his sources exposed. it's a good look for everyone
>involved.

years ago he was filling in for giles peterson while playing his records. and when it came down to his sources, he told the audience "do you research. im not gonna make it easy for y'all."

he said the same of the obscure brazilian tracks he played that afternoon too.

straight up asshole shit. so yeah. he cares.

3026788, now that you mention it
Posted by Options, Wed Sep-09-20 08:29 AM
I've heard the show you're referring to and I remember him saying something like that.
I wouldn't call it "asshole shit," tho — I mean, that's the crate digger culture. someone *not* caring about that would be a noteworthy exception.

...at least when it comes to samples. if you wanna know a track ID from just a song in a mix and you're told to catch a flight to Brazil, then yeah, you got a point.
3026813, yessir
Posted by Airbreed, Thu Sep-10-20 10:25 AM
>I've heard the show you're referring to and I remember him
>saying something like that.
>I wouldn't call it "asshole shit," tho — I mean, that's the
>crate digger culture. someone *not* caring about that would
>be a noteworthy exception.
>
>...at least when it comes to samples. if you wanna know a
>track ID from just a song in a mix and you're told to catch a
>flight to Brazil, then yeah, you got a point.

lol seemingly that's the impression i got from him.

while guys like giles, garvey and others playlist their sources with none of that "look it up yourself" stupidity.

and i always gave my sources during my college radio shows. its not a trade secret.

unless he's hiding from copyright infringements, then that's something different.

3026823, Damn I've gotta find that show
Posted by cal.25, Fri Sep-11-20 03:59 AM
Do you know roughly what year it was? I'll search on Mixcloud
3026833, RE: slight tangent, but
Posted by howardlloyd, Sat Sep-12-20 08:15 AM
>I recently copped the vinyl release of Bandana and was
>shocked to see that the "piece of paper" inside listed all of
>the samples Madlib used. has that ever happened on a Madlib
>release before??

banadana was released by RCA records (big time)

all samples cleared