Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe least Griselda sounding Griselda album, and it's fantastic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026740&mesg_id=3027640
3027640, The least Griselda sounding Griselda album, and it's fantastic
Posted by Oak27, Fri Oct-16-20 09:20 AM
Let me make one thing clear, the subject of this post is by no means meant to be negative towards the Griselda "sound", it's just a statement, and if anyone who is less than high on Griselda is in this post, perhaps some inspiration to check this one out.

It's not Griselda-y and Hit Boy is on production. If you told me this a month ago, I would not have been excited at all. The Hit Boy part especially. While I enjoyed the Nas album, I didn't think it was great, and I would hope that Benny picked better beats.

Thankfully, he has. The production on this album is fucking stellar. A bunch of these beats give off early 2000s soulful Roc vibes. I could hear Jay or Dipset and a handful of other NYC rappers from that era (Fab, 50, etc) rapping over shit like "One Way Flight", "New Streets", "Trade It All" and "Thank God I Made It"

Benny is the best rapper in Griselda. While I think Conway steals the show a lot of time, and Westside obviously grabs your attention with so much more ease (whether that's good or bad depends on how you feel about Westside), Benny bar-for-bar has the best skills as a rapper, and I'm glad if anyone was gonna step out of the Griselda-zone and make an album like this it was him. He's the quietest of the Griselda dudes as far as releases, but you can tell he puts the most time into his projects.

I'm still only on my second listen so I'm not gonna rate/rank it, but this will no doubt be towards the top of my 2020 list and is easily one of my favorite Griselda projects period. I'm loving this so far.