Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectsort of tangential
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026677&mesg_id=3026706
3026706, sort of tangential
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Sep-03-20 06:40 AM
I like the look of these big vinyl sets a lot but do companies not see how steep that price tag is? Or is the new model make it nice enough to appeal to the hardcore folks who will put down the money and don't worry about the rest?

Like, all of those Prince vinyl sets priced me out -- and it's not even that I can't afford them so much as it's hard for me to justify the expense... (though I'm thinking thinking thinking about that SOTT one right now)

And I get that this is 6 albums and so 30/pop isn't really that much, but laid out at the front it's not cheap.

I'm thinking back to the days of the elaborate CD box set... I know some of them could get really pricey, too, but I never felt like they were unreasonably so. (Of course, I'm probably 10x more frugal now than I was then.)

Just a side rant. I'm kind of glad a lot of places are doubling down on larger, well-made sets - I always felt that was a good way to ensure that the physical had a real place for listeners. I just wish they would find a way to price it a bit more reasonably.

Honestly, there's still a good chance I'll grab this, lol, and I have most of these on vinyl already.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~