Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew Release Friday - 2020-08-28
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026606
3026606, New Release Friday - 2020-08-28
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Aug-28-20 10:34 AM
Interesting week based on what I've seen so far.

I've been waiting for a while on the new Angel Olsen, A Whole New Mess, which is mostly a minimalist/acoustic-ish version of last year's All Mirrors... already gave it a listen this morning, it's not massively revelatory or anything, but it's a nice companion to the original album and the new tracks are great... I'll share thoughts later for anyone interested.

Some other stuff on my radar:

Disclosure - Energy

Jyoti/Georgia Anne Muldrow - Mama You Can Bet

Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song

Skyler Skjelset - Back In Heaven

Aluna - Renaissance (can I get this without vocals? gave this a spin while running some errands and thought the productions was often really good but the vocals just aren't hitting it for me)

What is everyone looking forward to?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3026611, Lil Wayne - No Ceilings is now on streaming platforms
Posted by Oak27, Fri Aug-28-20 12:51 PM
although like half the songs didn't clear so it's far from complete. That was the last great Wayne project imo.
3026646, a number of things should be on classic okp radar
Posted by thebigfunk, Sun Aug-30-20 02:23 PM
By that I mean early to mid-00s okayplayer folks:

new album from Ledisi (The Wild Card)

new single from Jazmine Sullivan (Lost One)

new Glasper single features Meshell Ndegeocello ("Better Than I Imagined" - at this point I kind of loathe Glasper but on first listen I really liked this)

new Salaam Remi single features Bilal ("Comin' Outta The Rain" --- this was great! has Bilal been on other stuff lately? feels like it's been a minute since I heard him, refreshing...)

-thebigfunk

3026700, Sampha is active again,this time with Actress plus Mariah over Ms Hill?
Posted by phemom, Wed Sep-02-20 09:50 PM
This is Actress Feat. Sampha - Walking Flames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwgIAK4mfY

....I'm really into that one. Actress' album comes out in October and has 2 other songs with Sampha.

I guess there's a Mariah Carey "rarities" album dropping soon and there's a song where she's singing over Killing Me Softly called "Save The Day". Mariah even does her version of THAT bridge....and I fucks with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgT_WWmS44

...since Mariah always had to hit different demographics on albums I bet her vault of songs is probably full of goodness.

3026714, Gregory Porter - All Rise
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Sep-03-20 01:03 PM
Didn't realize this came out last week, too. He's been releasing singles for this for months now. He can be a bit too saccharine and his arrangements often feel too clean but I don't even care once his voice hits because it's soooooo good.

Kind of overlooked as a songwriter, too.

Anyway, haven't listened yet but will definitely put it on tonight.

-thebigfunk