Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe beat selection is not the problem
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026287&mesg_id=3026651
3026651, The beat selection is not the problem
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Aug-31-20 12:20 AM
The problem is the executive producing...PERIOD

And I agree that he should’ve had A+ output to match his talent.

But with Nas we know the actual albums output and we know a lot of the cutting room floor output which makes me say that the beat picking is not really his problem.

Yes, he does pick some terrible beats at times but he has more than enough material to fill classic album after classic album.

Illmatic
It Was Written
^^Those two are solidified

Then look at the Lost Tapes. If they had released the original double I Am album then he would’ve had 3 straight classics. And if Stillmatic was released inclusive of Doo Rags, My Way, Nothing Lasts Forever, No Idea’s Original, Purple, Black Zombies instead of Smokin’, Destroy & Rebuild, Braveheart Party, Rule, My Country then we would be having debates if that’s his best album.

Think about that shit...they put on Braveheart Party and cut Doo Rags. Who the fuck is making these decisions? Shit, I would’ve left off Ether.

God’s Son seems to get pretty mixed reviews. Some people love it. I could do without Hey Nas and I Can but the rest is all dope to me.

Street’s Disciple should’ve been one disc and we would have a high quality album.

Hip-Hop is Dead and Untitled are both average to me and I do not go back to these. I did like Untitled when it dropped but never liked HHID.

Distant Relatives continues to be one of the most overlooked/underrated albums of all-time. Absolute classic.

Life Is Good is another album that would be an undeniable classic had they cut some of the songs and included the bonus cuts. Again...terrible executive producing.

Nasir...I refuse to listen.

Lost Tapes 2...I believe these songs came from HHID/Untitled/LIG sessions so I would have to look to see if I could use any of these to improve HHID or Untitled into something on God’s Son’s level.

With that said, even if I just let those two albums be...had I been executive producing these albums, we would be looking at the following albums being all-time classics;

Illmatic
It Was Written
I Am
Stillmatic
Distant Relatives
Life Is Good

The following would be great albums;
God’s Son
Street’s Disciple
King’s Disease

And the following being the bottom of the barrel for Nas but still average albums;
Hip-Hop Is Dead
Untitled

So again, yes, Nas picks some bad beats but the true issue lies in the executive producing and which songs actually make the albums because Nas has had more than enough material which we have heard to turn these albums into great/classic albums had they made the proper decisions.