Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectnew speakers/components - input needed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026231&mesg_id=3026231
3026231, new speakers/components - input needed
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Aug-06-20 02:25 PM
So... when your partner/spouse says, "You know, maybe you should get some new speakers, or a new amp, or whatever to upgrade the stereo" ... you don't argue.

And even if you're the one that keeps the finances in check and you *know* you probably shouldn't go too big, if she throws out a number that's on the higher end of what you'd originally pick ... again, you don't argue.

So I have money and endorsement to build a new system, lol, and I'm looking for help.

Background: I have a component system but very cheap, most of it purchased used, none of it especially good: amp, record player, cd player, bookshelf speakers in pretty rough shape, and an oversized but at this point pretty worthless sub. I'm ready to replace everything but not necessarily all at once... CD player and sub are lower priority, speakers and record player at the top.

Not an audiophile by any stretch and kind of cringe at the jargon but have always admired a good system when I've had a chance to listen on one. Not wanting to go down the rabbit hole too deep (no tube amps here) but am willing to spend a bit of cash -- ideally capping around 1000 - 2000 for the main items but might be convinced to go a fair amount higher.

I was ready to go traditional amp and speakers route but am intrigued by some of these more recent powered bookshelf units, like the Klipsch The Fives: https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-fives-powered-speakers

They'd get around need for an amp, play well with pretty much any component, and play nice with bluetooth and hdmi out of the box. No new amp means more money for a new record player (and that's probably what I'm most excited about, that and the speakers). These are pretty new though and I can't find very many non-industry reviews -- can't decide if they're overpriced or not. (There are some similar bookshelf speakers from Audioengine that have pretty good reviews for my price range.)

Looking at other non-powered Klipsch options, too, alongside some other brands -- but am already getting research fatigue, especially since hearing speakers right now will be a challenge.

Anyhow, anyone have any general thoughts? Speakers, record players, or other components - let's say no more than 1k each, but ideally lower - you've been thinking about or enjoying?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~