Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBowls - Another Token Jazz Hour (Dilla jazz samples mix)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3025996&mesg_id=3025996
3025996, Bowls - Another Token Jazz Hour (Dilla jazz samples mix)
Posted by third_i_vision, Sun Jul-26-20 04:39 PM
Hello again. This board seems to be moving a bit slower since I posted the first volume in 2013, but here’s the sequel. 60 minutes, over 70 samples, mixed live on two turntables. Everything ripped from original vinyl pressings except for the two songs only available on CD/cassette. This and the first volume are both available on Bandcamp now, and you can name your price.

https://joyoflivingrecords.bandcamp.com/album/another-token-jazz-hour

Just like last time, let me post a few notes strictly for the OKP fam:

This mix, or at least the track list, went through at least 10 different iterations before the pandemic made me sit down and finally record it. Every time I thought I was ready to go, I’d find another ridiculous sample that had to be included. The last one was The Four Freshmen - Alive And Well In Nashville. Living here in the Music City, I figured that was a sign that I needed to wrap it up and get the damn thing recorded.

This dude was sampling whatever the hell he wanted. The early beats are filled with loops from dollar-bin records most producers would never touch. He knew how to make it funky though. There are also some fairly expensive/rare records featured on the mix - private press jazz-funk and European library joints.

The sequel goes quite a bit deeper than the first volume. Aforementioned early (1994) Slum Village samples, a few clips of the “candy” he’d layer on top of beats, drum breaks, and a few samples from projects that most people have never heard. I wanted to make something that stands the rest of time. I can see that some of the hawks on WhoSampled have already posted some of the previously-unlisted samples featured on the mix, including a crazy Larry Coryell joint from the 1998 batch. Let’s see if they can spot the others.

Anyway, check out the mix and let me know what you think. PLEASE SHARE IT if you dig it! I’m on Twitter and IG under @bowls615