Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBowls - Another Token Jazz Hour (Dilla jazz samples mix)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3025996
3025996, Bowls - Another Token Jazz Hour (Dilla jazz samples mix)
Posted by third_i_vision, Sun Jul-26-20 04:39 PM
Hello again. This board seems to be moving a bit slower since I posted the first volume in 2013, but here’s the sequel. 60 minutes, over 70 samples, mixed live on two turntables. Everything ripped from original vinyl pressings except for the two songs only available on CD/cassette. This and the first volume are both available on Bandcamp now, and you can name your price.

https://joyoflivingrecords.bandcamp.com/album/another-token-jazz-hour

Just like last time, let me post a few notes strictly for the OKP fam:

This mix, or at least the track list, went through at least 10 different iterations before the pandemic made me sit down and finally record it. Every time I thought I was ready to go, I’d find another ridiculous sample that had to be included. The last one was The Four Freshmen - Alive And Well In Nashville. Living here in the Music City, I figured that was a sign that I needed to wrap it up and get the damn thing recorded.

This dude was sampling whatever the hell he wanted. The early beats are filled with loops from dollar-bin records most producers would never touch. He knew how to make it funky though. There are also some fairly expensive/rare records featured on the mix - private press jazz-funk and European library joints.

The sequel goes quite a bit deeper than the first volume. Aforementioned early (1994) Slum Village samples, a few clips of the “candy” he’d layer on top of beats, drum breaks, and a few samples from projects that most people have never heard. I wanted to make something that stands the rest of time. I can see that some of the hawks on WhoSampled have already posted some of the previously-unlisted samples featured on the mix, including a crazy Larry Coryell joint from the 1998 batch. Let’s see if they can spot the others.

Anyway, check out the mix and let me know what you think. PLEASE SHARE IT if you dig it! I’m on Twitter and IG under @bowls615
3026008, oh man, YES
Posted by Options, Mon Jul-27-20 02:20 AM
your first volume is practically essential listening and I'm sure this one will be, as well.

I'm nowhere near the world-class digger you'd probably need to be to track down a lot of these originals. these mixes allow me to hear and enjoy the sources while still preserving the mystery (and therefore the jolt of discovery if I ever happen upon any of these myself). thanks for sharing this.
3026022, Thanks dude, I hope you dig it.
Posted by third_i_vision, Mon Jul-27-20 12:07 PM
There seems to be a lot of love for the first volume, but I’m legitimately out of the loop with how to promote the second one here in 2020. Feels like music blogs are almost a thing of the past.

In any case, just trying to get as many eyes and ears on it as possible.

You are appreciated. (c)
3026184, I'm surprised I'm the only person to reply to this
Posted by Options, Mon Aug-03-20 07:13 PM
I'm also surprised at how few of these samples I recognize. I'm guessing you leaned heavily on the beat tape joints, many of which (even the more common ones) I've yet to listen to.

you weren't kidding about those 'untouchable' records; a lot of these I'd flip right on past. thank God he didn't. but that first joint? I reeeeaally wanna know what that is...

>but I’m legitimately out of the loop with how to promote the
>second one here in 2020. Feels like music blogs are almost a
>thing of the past.

I'm with ya there. feels like getting heard now is harder than it's ever been.
3026202, Yeah a couple of these reference some TRULY obscure material.
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Aug-04-20 03:12 PM
I was blessed with a rip of a tape that Dilla made around 95/96. Basically what he’d play in his car while riding around. A bunch of the early remixes, alternate takes of Slum Village tracks, demo versions, beats, and sketches/loops/ideas with no added drums.

Finding the samples to weird shit like that was amazing. Wanted to put them on the mix for anybody else who has the same tape, and also to pique the interest of listeners who can’t place where the sample was used.

The rabbit hole is quite deep, as I came to find out.
3026192, Soooo, how can I hear the 1st version?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-04-20 09:34 AM
Thanks for this. I have a playlist of Dilla mixes that I run for about 2 weeks leading up to his birthday. Always down to add another.
3026200, The first version (The Token Jazz Hour) is also on Bandcamp.
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Aug-04-20 03:03 PM
Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. These are the only two releases on Joy Of Living Records.

Thanks for checking it out!
3026194, RE: Bowls - Another Token Jazz Hour (Dilla jazz samples mix)
Posted by kosyne, Tue Aug-04-20 11:24 AM
thank you for this!
much respect!
3026319, gonna check it out...thx bro
Posted by mikediggz, Tue Aug-11-20 03:30 PM
3026729, Up for Bandcamp Friday.
Posted by third_i_vision, Fri Sep-04-20 11:48 AM
I truly appreciate the support. Thank you for listening and sharing.
3026849, Be back later...
Posted by Crash85, Sun Sep-13-20 05:07 PM
Excited to hear this...