Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIdlewild vs And the Anonymous Nobody...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3025728
3025728, Idlewild vs And the Anonymous Nobody...
Posted by mista k5, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
which one is better?

Poll question: Idlewild vs And the Anonymous Nobody...

Poll result (20 votes)
Idlewild (1 votes)Vote
And the Anonymous Nobody... (16 votes)Vote
I've only listened to Idlewild in full (2 votes)Vote
I've only listened to And the Anonymous Nobody... in full (1 votes)Vote
Haven't listened to either in full (0 votes)Vote
I kiss cousins (tie) (0 votes)Vote

3025729, Thought provoking comparison
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Jul-13-20 06:13 PM
Both albums made by legendary groups that were on the tail end of their runs.

I went with the De la album. The highs on Idlewild (Hollywood Divorce, Mighty "O") are higher but the De la is more consistent. The De la album is a better listening experience to me.
3025733, I hope I never have to float in that boat...
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Jul-13-20 08:11 PM
Up shits creek, it’s weak is the last quote...

3025734, TAN...all day, every day...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jul-13-20 08:34 PM
fucking LOVE that album. So musically good and Dave puts on an absolute rapping clinic.
3025741, greensies
Posted by CherNic, Tue Jul-14-20 08:18 AM
I don't think I've listened to any De La album in full (this shouldn't be that shocking....I don't listen to a LOT of 'must listen' albums).

It is on Apple Music...are they a group I need to listen to from the beginning or can I start here and work backwards?
3025744, hmm
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jul-14-20 09:13 AM
as a huge de la fan i dont know how to answer that lol

it is not the first album from them that i would recommend. i do enjoy it but some huge de la fans think its trash. my best advice is dont assume you know de la based on any one album.

i would say starting with any of their first 4 would be the best bet depending on what style of music you like.

3 ft high and dead are kind of the de la sound that you would expect from their early singles.

buhloone was a switch in direction. very jazzy yet..i dont know how to explain it. its concise, its fun, its aggressive.

stakes and both AOIs are kind of the late 90s early 2000s underground sound.

grind date was a nice blend of what was current at the time while keeping it hiphop.

anonymous is kind of an indie rap sound. mostly hiphop with some gorillaz sound in there.

i might have a hook up for the tommy boy albums if youre interested
3025819, giving it a shot today
Posted by CherNic, Fri Jul-17-20 09:37 AM
some of these guests made me turn up my nose but I'm trying to be open minded lol
3025748, i'm just hoping for Dave to get better.. and we get another LP....
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Tue Jul-14-20 12:23 PM
...from the Plugs

3025753, What's going with him?
Posted by Marbles, Tue Jul-14-20 03:01 PM

They were scheduled to perform here in March, just before we all went into the quarantine. Pos & Mase were there (Talib showed up in Dave's place) and asked folks to pray for Dave but didn't give any details.

That was a little more than 4 months ago. Man, I hope he'll be alright with whatever he's going through.
3025749, Idlewild
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jul-14-20 12:57 PM
It's been a while since I went back to it. I remembered it being good, I enjoyed it. Definitely has some tracks I love and thought people were exaggerating with the hate. Decided to give it another spin (stream?) right now.

1 Intro
2 Mighty “O” - 4.5
Great catchy song.
3 Peaches - 4
Hook is okay but this is actually a pretty good song. The beat and verses are dope.
4 Idlewild Blue - 5
Still love this one.
5 Infatuation (Interlude)
6 N2U - 5
I’ve been sleeping on this one. Love it.
7 Morris Brown - 5
Another great one. That hook.
8 Chronomentrophobia - 3.5
I can see people rating this pretty low. As an Andre stan I have to ride for it lol. The intro is kind of off-putting. We still get a dope Andre verse tho. I kind of want to rate it a 4 but can see a 3 too. 
9 The Train - 5
This is one of my favorite songs ever. Like top 20 probably. The whole vibe really hits me.
10 Life is Like a Musical - 5
I love this. I guess if you didn’t like The Love Below you wouldn’t like this track but I think it’s great.
11 No Bootleg DVDs (Interlude)
12 Hollywood Divorce - 4.5
Great track, I want to give it a 5 but I don’t think I love it as much as the other tracks.
13 Zora (Interlude)
14 Call the Law - 3.5
Pretty cool track but the intro is kinda eh and its just missing something. This could be a contender for songs that are too long. Had to drop it from 4 to 3.5 because it just kept going.
15 Bamboo & Cross (Interlude)
16 Buggface - 4
Pretty cool album track. The beat is pretty dope. 
17 Makes No Sense At All
Kinda see it as a skit so not rating it but it definitely doesn’t add to the album.
18 In Your Dreams - 4
Pretty good track.
19 PJ & Rooster - 4.5
I can understand other people not liking this but this is a sound I really like.
20 Mutron Angel - 3.5
Okay.
21 Greatest Show on Earth - 3
Yeah this just didn't work.
22 You're Beautiful (Interlude)
23 When I look In Your Eyes - 4
This is kinda a guilty pleasure. I'm guessing a lot of people don't like it but I think it's pretty great. Doesn't have replay value and too cheesy to rate higher.
24 Dyin' to Live - 3
Shrug
25 A Bad Note - 2.5
If it was under 1 minute…even 3 minutes I would just skip rating it. Why 9 minutes??

So um, I'm known to be generous on my ratings, my descriptions typically imply lower scores than I give. So on average this would be a 4 out of 5 album. I think a 3.5 is more accurate. It really drags at the end. Through Hollywood Divorce it's pretty good. After that there's only a track or two worth coming back to. I was considering buying this on vinyl but I think I'm going to pass. I'll get Stankonia and consider my Outkast collection complete lol.

Gonna go back to Anonymous later.
3025751, my 2 favorite songs are Greatest Show and PJ & Rooster lol
Posted by CherNic, Tue Jul-14-20 02:41 PM
Although, the movie version of Greatest with the horns BUMPIN is better than the album version. Also - should have put Movin Cool on here, even though it was on the Greatest Hits album. LOVE that song - like top 5 favorite Kast song for me

I revisit this album every now and again. Nowhere near my favorite album by them but since it's my favorite group, and it was their (seemingly) last project, it still holds a place in my heart.
3025752, the greatest show is one i should like more
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jul-14-20 02:51 PM
maybe its the movie version that got me.

movin cool blew me away when i first heard it. made me want to hear more rap songs that were like it. i think plenty and i am music are two songs with the same vibe but i guess basically idlewild is the biggest collection of that style of music.
3025756, And the Anonymous Nobody...
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jul-14-20 03:34 PM
So I remember this one being good. A lot of tracks I loved but also felt there was a lot to skip. Recently I've seen people commenting on it and saying they really don't like it. Made me question it, am I just being biased??

1 Genesis
2 Royalty Capes - 4.5
I could see people skipping it but it rewards you for staying tuned. There are some nice subtle touches on the beat.
3 Pain - 5
I think this track is so dope. Kind of feels like it needs something else but its still dope. Maybe Snoop falls short.
4 Property of Spitkicker.com - 4
Is this the Roc track that has the most drums?? I think this track is meant for a very specific audience.
5 Memory of… (US) - 5
This is just beautiful to me. Sonically one of the best songs they have made.
6 CBGBS - 5
I love this, just wish it was longer.
7 Lord Intended -5
I love this one too but I could see some older heads not feeling it.
8 Snoopies - 5
Love it, nothing to say.
9 Greyhounds - 5
I honestly was not looking forward to this track but I think it's great. Probably the only Usher track in rotation.
10 Sexy Bitch - 4.5
This beat is so funky.
11 Trainwreck - 4
Okay beat. There are plenty of parts that keep it interesting. The hook is kinda eh.
12 Drawn - 5
Another beautiful one. I don't mind at all that it takes so long to get to rapping but do wish it kept going.
13 Whoodeeni - 4.5
This one is pretty cool. 2chainz is pretty great on it. Dave out does him.
14 Nosed Up - 4
Cool song but nothing special.
15 You Go Dave
16 Here in After - 5
I love it.
17 Exodus - 5
A beautiful close to the album, reminds me of day one from Blackalicious or The Stand by The Coup.

I've only listened to Unfold once or twice on the vinyl but don't think it was anything special. After listening to it again I gotta say I really like it, pretty much love it. Could do with a track or two less but overall it's a beautiful album. I think worthy of the results of the poll so far. Average gives it a 4.7 out of 5 and I think it's pretty fair. I'll call it a 4.5 out of 5.

I can understand people not liking that Pos and Dave aren't rapping more but you have to appreciate the music for what it is.
3025810, RE: And the Anonymous Nobody...
Posted by howardlloyd, Thu Jul-16-20 06:44 PM

>Is this the Roc track that has the most drums?? I think this
>track is meant for a very specific audience.

uhm...have u ever heard marcberg or THE UN?