Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis might be my favorite music podcast.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3025534&mesg_id=3044775
3044775, This might be my favorite music podcast.
Posted by High Society, Sat Dec-02-23 05:33 AM
I've loved all three seasons.

I knew the least amount about Ross' career though I knew he was heavy in the A&R game for Elektra. The odb episode was great, liked hearing about Brand Nubian origins - didn't know much about the Puba dynamic. Would've liked to hear a bit more about Sadat X personally; if there was more to tell. In the slept on emcee category; 'dat ranks high up there for me.

I knew the outline of el-producto's story so was great to hear them flesh out the details. Always been a big fan of El's production pre RTJ.

Shute, I can say big fan of his production all the way up to R.A.P. Music. I wish RTJ albums had more of that feel than the heavy 808 and sparse electro let's get this festival dough production of the RTJ albums. Definitely happy to hear in depth talk on Can Ox, CoFlow, the label.

Obviously familiar w/ Paul's De La work, Prince Among Thieves, Gravediggaz, and HBMS, cool to hear insight on the business, his place in it, Native Tongues...

On to the Questlove season... if you're on this site, you know the Questlove origin story and the origin story of The Roots. Was definitely more interested in hearing HOW created albums, songs. Quest can TALK! It's in this format that I like his ability to do just that, TALK & TALK & TALK. Loved hearing Quest talk about Black Thought saying if we gonna be THE BEST, we need to listen to THE REST... Quest getting on the bus and turning up his nose at Thought banging 8ball & MJG. It's really why Thought is one of the greatest of all time... as evidenced by In Your Dreams Kid (the preface to BOOM on The Tipping Point,) Thought's ability to not only sound like different emcees and rap in their cadence... but the ablilty to WRITE like the emcees he is showing love to, that's the incredible part to me. He's the ultimate student of the emcee and Quest might be the ultimate student of the music side of things - we know the basic story... after the jazz shii on DYWM?!, Quest flips the script and his thinking is... I need to sound like an mpc. What I found most interesting about the Illadelph episode was that Quest at times felt he had to show N prove because he felt like, damn... why do they need me anymore? Kelo was heavy in the mix banging out beats for the group.

Can't wait to hear the episode TFA... because as we know, Quest will flip the script AGAIN as far as his drumming is concerned... by the time he's mastered how to sound like an MP, Dilla's got him wanting to sound "drunk" drumming.