Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Yea he's got such a rich history. Great guest.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3025534&mesg_id=3036995
3036995, RE: Yea he's got such a rich history. Great guest.
Posted by Original Juice, Thu Mar-03-22 06:02 PM
>I've found that no one is quite as compelling or entertaining
>as Prince Paul but it's not really fair to hold anyone to his
>standard. He's got such a uniquely fun and quirky
>personality.
>
>But El-P and Dante Ross have been comparably enjoyable in
>terms of the stories they have to tell.

Agreed.

All 3 seasons (so far) have been great.

Season 1 is GOAT status as far as musical podcasts go.. precisely
because of Prince Paul's personality and sense of humor.

It really drives the point home that he's been the missing element in De La Soul's music for so long. Sure, they are still dope. But that it factor that they had at one time.. the humor, the skits, the playful production and cadences, etc.. that was all Paul. When they parted ways with him, they really did lose what made their music unique and memorable. Stakes Is High is a great album, classic even, but that's when they pivoted toward the whole post-WuTang BARS on BARS on BARS style of hip-hop, which quite frankly, isn't as fun as they are very much capable of doing.

El's was great too. He has a somewhat self deprecating sense of humor as well. Not as laugh out loud hilarious as Paul, more dry, but still he had good chemistry with Mike.

Dante's is good so far too. I've heard many of these stories in his interview on QLS and elsewhere, but his career deserves this.

I see many have discussed who would be next.

I wouldn't be mad at:

the RZA
Q-Tip
Kool Keith
the Alchemist
Tyler, the Creator (too soon? maybe)
DJ Pooh (maybe a little bit too under the radar? he's kinda like the west coast Prince Paul tho)
Del tha Funkee Homosapien
DJ Quik

and yes, DOOM or Shock G would have been perfect for this. RIP