Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectJ. Cole Sucks Y’all
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3025190
3025190, J. Cole Sucks Y’all
Posted by lightworks, Tue Jun-16-20 10:51 PM
He released a new song tonight called “Snow on Tha Bluff” where he attacked the woman rapper Noname because she dared to...I don’t know...try to solve issues? Educate people?

And rather than offer up his own original solutions he decides to go on a long verse of critiquing her.

Wack.
3025191, He's good with me.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Jun-17-20 04:14 AM
I don't know in what world it's ok to criticize other people but they can't criticize you back. She came for him, and he responded very mildly considering she implied he wasn't doing enough b/c he wasn't tweeting, when he was out in the street with the people. I said everything else I had to say about this in the duplicate General Discussion post.
3025201, But she didn't come for him specifically. At all.
Posted by hammam, Wed Jun-17-20 07:11 PM
He got butt hurt because of a tweet where she criticized rappers in general for their silence and assumed it was about him. There was nothing in her tweet that would determine it was was about Cole and only Cole. She said "y’all favorite top selling rappers" and he jumped all the way out the window like a cornball.
3025202, Well if that's the route you take, his response isn't about her either.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Jun-18-20 01:05 AM
You gotta be consistent with your viewpoint.
3025269, She didn't criticize rappers in general
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sat Jun-20-20 08:55 PM
“poor black folks all over the country are putting their bodies on the line in protest for our collective safety and y'all favorite top selling rappers not even willing to put a tweet up. niggas whole discographies be about black plight and they no where to be found.”

People always leave out that second part. top selling rappers. whole discographies be about black plight. Only two rappers fit that criteria. Cole and Kendrick. She knew who she was getting at and that's why she deleted that tweet.
3025273, Let's say it was a subtweet to Cole/Kendrick
Posted by hammam, Sun Jun-21-20 02:57 PM
...which I feel if anybody should be offended between the two, it's Kendrick, who's music fits the "black plight" narrative WAAAY more than Cole's vapid ass songs than he sprinkles in to his albums. TPAB is 90% about black plight...

yet Kendrick isn't dorky enough to devote a whole misguided, mild ass chastisement to Noname because he whatever guilt he might felt.

and also, the song just fucking sucks.
3025197, He always has
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Jun-17-20 03:20 PM
We just give him a pass because he’s better than the rest of the bullshit out.

3025213, noname responded
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Jun-18-20 08:18 PM
"Song 33" - it's on Spotify. Produced by Madlib (!).

I mean... Cole's track was weird as shit considering she didn't call him out by name. And she's on point here, basically saying "you had time to make this about my one tweet when all this other shit is going on?"

On the other hand, I'm seeing this more as a public convo than a beef. But no matter, Cole comes out looking slight here --- saying, "educate us" when she literally has a book club?!? and she sounds relaxed as fuck here, like she can barely be bothered. I'm assuming we have a noname and Cole track in the future. (and hopefully a Madlib / noname album, too).

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3025224, To repeat what I said in a previous pos
Posted by Adwhizz, Fri Jun-19-20 06:41 AM
https://youtu.be/u_C4onVrr8U

WTF was with Cole on the last verse of this song?!

The instrumental is a sexy, laid back guitar beat.

Cole's first verse is about trying to get with a chick he had a previous rendezvous with

You got R&B singer Miguel crooning explicitly about wanting to fuck and then in the last verse Cole comes in talking about Kapernick, Police Brutality and President Trump

Way to fuck up the entire mood Cole!

No Role Models is still a banger Tho,
3025238, RE: To repeat what I said in a previous post
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Jun-19-20 12:44 PM
It was just a couple of lines he threw in, and he brought it back to the original topic of getting with the girl. I actually liked that line even though it's jarring at first. No one else would even do that but Cole. His actions give the lines weight, because he really is out in the street with the people when shit pops off. He's telling the object of his affection that that THIS is how much she's been on his mind... as much as the things he thinks about constantly... like police brutality, politics, sports and how they're all intertwined in the moment. Maybe everyday folks don't understand that, because those things don't sit at the forefront of their minds, but I totally related, personally.

You might like the DJ Critical remix better with the Neptunes beat, because it isn't a sensual mood. It seems to fit a lot better.
Number 13: https://audiomack.com/dj-critical-hype/album/in-search-of-cole-1

>https://youtu.be/u_C4onVrr8U
>
>WTF was with Cole on the last verse of this song?!
>
>The instrumental is a sexy, laid back guitar beat.
>
>Cole's first verse is about trying to get with a chick he had
>a previous rendezvous with
>
>You got R&B singer Miguel crooning explicitly about wanting to
>fuck and then in the last verse Cole comes in talking about
>Kapernick, Police Brutality and President Trump
>
>Way to fuck up the entire mood Cole!
>
>
>No Role Models is still a banger Tho,