Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYea re: the soundscape I agree and said something similar above ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3024662&mesg_id=3024746
3024746, Yea re: the soundscape I agree and said something similar above ...
Posted by Brew, Sat May-23-20 07:55 PM
>Yeah, I think I can recognize that BtH is a more "complete"
>and possibly "better" album...but what I really like about
>GMMF, is that they really settle into a vibe throughout the
>album and explore the space within it, much like D'Angelo does
>on Voodoo.

When I said the GMMF was perhaps more consistent. You put it far more eloquently and I agree. They found a groove and went with it.

But I think BtH has a certain consistency as well, hence why I like it so much - it's just that they ventured outside of one specific groove, vibe, pace a few times (Juice n' Dranks, Blu Collar Worker, etc.) and IMO it worked and made for a better album. Plus the highs were higher. Just my opinion tho. Both are great.

>This is prolly gonna come off SUPER "backpack" or
>whatever, but I'm not a huge fan of the poppier songs on BtH
>(like "First Things First", "Show Me the Good Life"...I like
>"Dancing in the Rain" tho), so BtH is a little uneven to me.
>Also, and don't get me wrong, Blu always raps -- but I prefer
>the personal, contemplative, poetic nature of the lyrics on
>GMMF to the b-boyish style he leans toward on BtH (I just
>think Blu is a pretty good "bars" rapper, but when he gets
>into his poetic bag, he's elite level).

This is where I don't agree. I think he got super personal on BtH as well, and that's a big part of what has always been appealing about him for me. So(ul) Amazin', Blu Collar Workers, Dancin' in the Rain, and especially In Remembrance of Me, he got real personal. And those songs are all great.

But maybe on balance he was more personal and less rappity rapping on GMMF than he was on BtH, and if that's what you meant then I can't refute you - gotta revisit GMMF.