Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I prefer Blu’s version...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3024662&mesg_id=3024728
3024728, RE: I prefer Blu’s version...
Posted by bills, Sat May-23-20 09:12 AM
Yeah, I think I can recognize that BtH is a more "complete" and possibly "better" album...but what I really like about GMMF, is that they really settle into a vibe throughout the album and explore the space within it, much like D'Angelo does on Voodoo. This is prolly gonna come off SUPER "backpack" or whatever, but I'm not a huge fan of the poppier songs on BtH (like "First Things First", "Show Me the Good Life"...I like "Dancing in the Rain" tho), so BtH is a little uneven to me.
Also, and don't get me wrong, Blu always raps -- but I prefer the personal, contemplative, poetic nature of the lyrics on GMMF to the b-boyish style he leans toward on BtH (I just think Blu is a pretty good "bars" rapper, but when he gets into his poetic bag, he's elite level).
I will say, though, that I think "No Greater Love" is B&E's best joint.
As far as the versions of GMMF, I don't think I have a preference...so I welcomed the better engineered Exile version, but I could definitely see it both ways.