Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: 'Jazz is Dead 2' - Roy Ayers, Ali Shaheed & Younge
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3023911&mesg_id=3025313
3025313, RE: 'Jazz is Dead 2' - Roy Ayers, Ali Shaheed & Younge
Posted by Kosa12, Wed Jun-24-20 09:33 AM
I really enjoyed it. Last night I gave Jazz Is Dead 1 and 2 a listen for the first time and preferred Jazz Is Dead 2. I think both are great, really accessible brief listens.

I think the main thing I feel in terms of criticism is that it's a shame that aside from the Azymuth song, nothing is really stretched out here. There is an emphasis, on groove and repetition, which is great, but at times I wanted some more extended soloing, which could definitely fit in somewhere. But I get it, this music isn't for that.

In regard to the second one, I think the influence of Ayers is apparent, especially in how the vocalists are used, but you are right in that it's never to the point where it could be called an "Ayers record" and instrumentally he could definitely be more present. While he did co-write these tunes, he never seems to be the focus.

Based on what's been recorded so far, I don't think this series will be one to push any boundaries or anything, but it looks like it will be reliable to provide a nice vintage, psychedelic at times, chill 70s influenced aesthetic with groovy instrumentation. The drumming is really good in particular. And that seems to be enough for me to think these albums are a great, fun listen.