Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNduduzo Makhathini - Modes of Communication: Letters from the Underworlds
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3023911&mesg_id=3024267
3024267, Nduduzo Makhathini - Modes of Communication: Letters from the Underworlds
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Apr-30-20 08:23 AM
New name to me - south african pianist (which de facto means I'm on board, lol - once Abdullah Ibrahim got into my brain some time ago, I will stop time to hear piano- or horn-forward South African jazz).

After a few listen, really good stuff! "Isithunywa" has a melody and cadence that reminds me of Coltrane's "Naima" but a bit noisier. "Saziwa Nguwe" has that classic Capetown gospel-ish sound (part of what I fell in love with w/Ibrahim - and I should say, gospel sounding to me, not necessarily within the culture itself -- it just reminds me of a certain type of hymn...).

There's some subtle build-up stuff here too - Umlotha opens with a long gradual intro, then shifts into something that puts me in mind of McCoy Tyner's more modal stuff in the early '70s.

Good stuff all around - and worth some listening.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~