Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwhat I've heard so far
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3023911&mesg_id=3023975
3023975, what I've heard so far
Posted by Kosa12, Tue Apr-21-20 06:42 PM
Aaron Diehl -The Vagabond: Solid piano trio record that could do with some more adventure, but his playing is very pretty.

Jeff Parker - Suite for Max Brown: Good, but honestly a disappointment coming off the back of his last record, The New Breed. I love "After The Rain" and "3 for L". If anyone likes this they should DEFINITELY check out The New Bred.

Makaya McCraven / Gil Scott-Heron - We're New Again: A Reimagining by Makaya McCraven: Fantastic stuff. Gil Scott Heron and McCraven's jazz fits together so well. Tbh I haven't heard all of the original recording and now, no disrespect to Scott-Heron, but this is so beautiful that I'm not sure if I need to.

Shabaka and the Ancestors - We Are Sent Here by History: This guy can't miss lately and this record continues his great run. Awesome jazz strongly influenced by African music/afrobeat. Not many crazy solos, but I didn't care.

Irreversible Entanglements - Who Sent You?: The poet is featured a bit less than before and feels less aggressive, but this is another great album by this free jazz poetry band. The rhythm section in particular is top notch.