Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Favorite Releases of 2020 - First Quarter
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3022999&mesg_id=3023201
3023201, RE: Favorite Releases of 2020 - First Quarter
Posted by Kosa12, Tue Mar-31-20 05:23 PM
entire list of what I've dug so far, in order: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Kosa12/on-a-quest-to-get-open-and-free-the-best-of-2020/

Top 6 So Far:

R.A.P. Ferriera - Purple Moonlight Pages: I love this record. This is something that I believe will be a cult classic in the future, in the vein of records like Freestyle Fellowship's Innercity Griots, which is a clear influence. Basically, it's amazing jazzy esoteric rap. This artist formerly went by the moniker of Milo and this is his best work.

Keiyaa - Forever, Ya Girl: A somewhat lo-fi and off-kilter neo-soul debut that has absolutely floored me over the past few days. Gorgeous voice, fantastic beats and great sequencing.

ShrapKnel - ShrapKnel: Anyone who likes Cannibal Ox should listen to this immediately. Elucid is one of my favorite rappers at the moment, but his production is also great. It's left-field, dark apocalyptic sounding stuff. Both of the rappers, Curly Castro and PremRock are dope as hell.

Tricot - 真っ黒 (Makkuro): This is a band that I'm convinced can't release anything bad. Japanese math-rock. This is probably their best album yet. Their songs are complex instrumentally but very catchy/easy to listen to in my opinion.

Makaya McCraven/Gil Scott Heron - We're New Again: A Reimagining by Makaya McCraven: I never heard the Gil Scott Heron original of this record, and now I'm scared to because this remix by Makaya McCraven is so beautiful. Heron sounds at home surrounded by all these beautiful jazzy sounds

Irreversible Entanglements - Who Sent You?: Jazz Poetry. While I don't like this as much as the band's debut, this is still a great record. The rhythm section in particular is extremely strong here and the poet (Moor Mother) is great as per usual.

I'm heavily anticipating new albums by: Fiona Apple, Armand Hammer, Vijay Iyer Trio (Linda May Han Oh, Tyshawn Sorey), Gerald Clayton (recently signed to blue note), Pink Siifu - Negro (April 9), Thundercat (this Friday I think) and whatever Cecile McLorin Salvant, Mary Halvorson and Tomas Fujiwara do this year assuming they do something (each of them have said on social media that they have plans of some sort)