Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthanks for sharing this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3022781&mesg_id=3022836
3022836, thanks for sharing this
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Mar-16-20 11:50 AM
Not really sure what to make of it - but I listened to the EP twice and will probably return to it, so I guess that's a tentative rec? Thanks for posting it!

There's something goofy about this guy that I kind of appreciate - like Anthem of Love is absurd, especially lyrically, but it's also sort of fun and (I think) in on the joke? And we could probably use some straight up corn cakes right now, lord knows.

Fried chicken is actually pretty legit - some of the individual touches (the screwed section) keep it from feeling like straight mimicry or aping MJ/80s pop & funk. The instrumental section that starts around 2:30, with the drum shift and some blurry synth action got my attention stat, as did the outro shift at the end.

SPACE feels super cool to me for some reason. Lots of instrumental flourishes and he lets everything air out more here - wish it was longer. Might be my favorite of the set.

GITMO was unnecessary.

Interested to hear more - can't decide what to make of it and he could wind up being a Bruno Mars sort of act to me (impressive performer and instrumentalist but never finds *that* thing to make him feel more substantial as an artist).

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~