Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYou're 100% right. And even his formulaic stuff was lights out.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3022066&mesg_id=3022088
3022088, You're 100% right. And even his formulaic stuff was lights out.
Posted by Brew, Thu Feb-13-20 11:53 AM
Some of it got repetitive but by and large he was still throwing heat all over the place. I think the primary "issue" (if it was even an issue) was that he was in such high demand at that time that he probably just didn't have the time to dedicate to each beat that he used to/wanted to, so he fell into some habits.

But again - most of that shit still came out banging.

>He was still that the best. Even in the early 00s he was
>doing Pitch Black - It’s All Real, Golden Chyld for Ras
>Kass, Boom for Royce, 2nd Childhood, Doobie Ashtray, even that
>joint for Snoop. He got “formuliac” at times, but who
>cares? It was a needed formula in that era.

Right - all of that shit was fire. The CNN joint, too. I must've played that CNN song a trillion times in that time period.

He also did that Oh No Remix w/Mos, Pharoahe, and Nate that was absolute flames.

So yea. He stayed killing it.

Then he worked with effing Christina Aguilera in 2006, which at the time I thought was kinda wack and never really gave a fair chance. But I revisited his work on that album within the last few months and yep - flames. The backstory is cool, too. Guess her ex-husband (husband at the time) was a big hip-hop head so he reached out to see if Preem would be on board and he was.

Went in the studio and made "Ain't No Other Man" and a few others. All were pretty damn good for that kind of collab. Especially in hindsight w/my hip-hop snobbiness a thing of the past lol.