Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWho would you love to see Janet Jackson hook up in the studio with?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3022009
3022009, Who would you love to see Janet Jackson hook up in the studio with?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Feb-10-20 12:30 PM
She announced she is working on a new album

https://twitter.com/JanetJackson/status/1226909254495371264

I wonder what lane and sound she can run with?

Raphael Saadiq? Mark Ronson? Salaam Remi? The Dream? Drake?

Hard to call. There doesn't seem a lane for grown up black women on the radio anymore.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
3022010, My question is this....
Posted by phemom, Mon Feb-10-20 12:47 PM
Is she making dance music still or we going full adult contemporary?

Just on a personal level I'd wanna hear:

Jam & Lewis (of course)

The-Dream (because she still gonna make a nasty song or two regardless, so why not work with the guy who currently makes the best nasty R&B?)

Bryan Michael-Cox (who still makes dope songs without Jermaine Dupri)

Salaam Remi

No I.D. (he's so diverse that I figure he got beats ready for someone like Janet)

Dev Hines (dude is amazing)

Kaynatrada (He could make some mid-tempo that Janet could still dance to)

Syd (it would be a challenge, but I think Syd could make a banger or two), Miss Jack Davey fits too

Timbaland (I think he's only done remixes for Janet)

Q-Tip (tho if it happened we'd never hear it....because that's how most songs involving Tip works these days, but still...)

...I feel like finding the right sound would not be the issue, who's gonna write is the harder question because the writers of her day are either outdated or out of the game entirely.
3022016, Kaytranda might be dope. I think he had an If remix a few years back...
Posted by CherNic, Mon Feb-10-20 03:49 PM
3022022, Kaytra did a couple of Janet mixes I think..
Posted by spitfire, Tue Feb-11-20 06:06 AM
i especially love his 'If' rework:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3qM9ZZhkM0
3022017, No ID 10000000%
Posted by Brew, Mon Feb-10-20 04:17 PM
3022030, Dev Hines would be amazing.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-11-20 10:41 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

3022011, I'd see these
Posted by handle, Mon Feb-10-20 01:26 PM
Janet + The Roots - But Black Thought would inevitably not have a verse for some reason.

Stevie Wonder - On some New New Agenda tip

Lenny Kravitz - I think his last album Raise Vibrations was way better than anyone expected - and I'd like to hear oehr on a rock sound again.

3022020, Lenny is an interesting name
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Feb-10-20 08:20 PM
They're both also legacy acts who could perhaps have one more good-to-great project in them. It's surprising they haven't collaborated before. Might have been a killer combo in the late-90's. Both somewhat straddle a line between genres (Lenny - Rock and Soul, Janet - R&B and Pop and Rock).

Out of the other names listed above, Saddiq would be interesting as would No ID. No ID seems to bring heat no matter the project. Raphael's legacy is unquestioned and he's also another artist who maybe has one more remarkable project in them.

Salaam would make for an intriguing combo as well.
3022037, What's weird is that I just don't see a good lane for a Janet Jackson album.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-11-20 02:18 PM
I had this conversation with other folks and they are like she should work with Jam & Lewis but she did that a few years ago (2015) and that barely registered as a blip.

Then when you look around you have to wonder, what other 45+ black women are making music that registers in the mainstream? When has Mary had a hit (and she even worked with them Disclosure cats)? Missy?

The only thing I can see is a Solange type of album. Other than that, I got nothing.

I would hate to see her come with adult contemporary but also don't want her trying to battle with Ella Mai or Ari Lennox for a youthful lane.

3022039, I wouldn't say it was a blip....just wan't as popular as some other stuff
Posted by CherNic, Tue Feb-11-20 03:42 PM
and really, who IS? Besides like five people. Th album debuted at number one on Billboard that's still respectable (I think?)

IDK....I'm a stan so sis can't do much wrong. And that State of The World tour was INCREDIBLE.
3022042, i would love a Solange-type album from Janet
Posted by wrecknoble, Tue Feb-11-20 04:28 PM
3022084, Tame Impala or DangerMouse
Posted by rdhull, Thu Feb-13-20 10:21 AM