Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectChiming in...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3021937&mesg_id=3023064
3023064, Chiming in...
Posted by rhymesandammo, Sat Mar-28-20 02:08 PM
Hated it.

I still like "Shiny Suit Theory", although it's obvious Hov and Jay did not record in the same room when they did that joint. Hov still sounds muddy as all hell. You'd think maybe they would try to give that joint a new mix for this album but NOPE.

The only new joint on the album I liked was the outro. Jay E's last verse about his mother was very potent and exposed how little thought he put into a lot of the other verses on this album. I hate to say it, but Jay Elec would have probably been better served never dropping this and living off the mythos that he is the greatest emcee to never drop a proper album. Instead, now, he's just a guy amongst many other meat-and-potatoes rappers.

There are some joints on here that at least musically evoke the feeling those Jay Elec joints from 2007-2011 were going for: "The Neverending Story" and "Fruit of the Spirit" but I felt the bars just weren't hitting for me on the level of some of those older joints.

Some stuff on here, like "Flux Capacitor", "Ezekiel’s Wheel" and "Universal Soldier" are just bad to me. Can't get down with those at all from the beats to the rhymes.

So, yeah. Pretty let down by all of this. And Jay-Z cosplaying as NOI does absolutely nothing for me. Glad that at least some of you guys enjoy this thing but after sitting with it for a while I just can't help but feel like this was a missed opportunity.