Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLOL nah it's definitely true.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3021937&mesg_id=3022903
3022903, LOL nah it's definitely true.
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-19-20 01:51 PM
I've said something similar here before; that I think we are sort of (whether by nature or nurture, or both) kind of predisposed to being attracted to certain types of music. And so to your point, anyone else's opposite opinion of a piece of music one way or the other isn't necessarily going to lead to you reconsidering your feelings about that particular album/song/artist/whatever.

BUT I do think nuanced discussion can lead to *slight* changes in how you feel about a piece of art, if someone presents a perspective that you may not have picked up on or considered when you were listening. For example, what you said below re: JayE bringing JayZ into his world makes me want to listen again to see if I can identify that same vibe and if so, make me appreciate the album more.

So if nothing else, a nuanced take on a piece of art can lead to a revisitation of said art with a "different" set of eyes. Something may click, it may not. But it's worth discussing IMO. Otherwise like you said, why the hell are we here !

But all that said, ultimately you enjoy it or you don't. And so even if I pick up on that perspective you mentioned, I may still not *enjoy* the album all that much and therefore it's whatever. BUT, upon repeat listens to explore your perspective for myself, I may find that it sounds WAY better on 2nd and 3rd and 4th listen than it did on the first, therefore making your contributions worthwhile and meaningful.

>I think the internet has proven over the past few years that
>discussion kinda doesn't matter. Especially with something as
>subjective as music. If I like something or don't no one
>else's opinion really matters. No matter how many angry
>paragraphs a person writes it won't increase my enjoyment and
>vis versa. Me, I love this album, but I'm not sure how going
>into how I felt Jay Electronica brought Jay Z into his world
>(almost changed him into another super spiritual rhyme clone)
>is the most Jay Electronica thing he could possibly do means
>anything to anyone anymore.
>
>The logic that people feel is inherent to their tastes is an
>illusion. We all just like what we like, and don't like what
>we don't like. We can explain why, but at the end of the day
>my logic may not make sense to someone else. Does that make me
>wrong for liking it, no. Does it mean I can't communicate why
>I like it very well, maybe, but even if I communicated it
>perfectly it doesn't mean that other people not have to
>agree.
>