Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRoyce "explains" his antivaxx positions [swipe]
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3020929&mesg_id=3022369
3022369, Royce "explains" his antivaxx positions [swipe]
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Feb-26-20 06:25 PM
https://www.complex.com/music/2020/02/royce-da-5-9-premieres-tricked-addresses-anti-vaccination-lyrics

Interviewer Shawn Setaro: One more thing about "Tricked." On the list of people doing the tricking, you have the Centers for Disease Control and the authors of other medical studies who say there's no link between vaccines and autism, when you rap, "From day one at the hospital they target our children/Say they gonna immunize 'em they somehow get autism." Why did you include lyrics saying there is?

Royce: I have a child on the spectrum. All of my kids have been vaccinated. Within the last couple of years, I started being just real, real information junkie. I started doing a lot of fact-checking and a lot of reading—a lot more reading than I was doing. You got the regular facts that get presented to you, and then you have the other facts that you got to go research. Well, I found that I was able to draw a correlation between autism and vaccination. I found vaccinations link back to autism in many ways. And my wife is not anti-vaxx. So if I was ever going to have any more kids, we'd probably have to figure out a way to meet halfway. So I'm not in any way trying to encourage people to not get their kids vaccinated. I encourage you to believe what you want to believe.

S: Isn't there a danger, being a public figure and bringing up this disproven link between autism and vaccines, that you might be discouraging your audience from getting their kids vaccinated?

R: It's not a danger, because I'm speaking the facts. People who are against the anti-vaxxers, where are their facts at? What facts do they have? Was there something that America told them? Because I operate under the edict that America is guilty until proven innocent.

S: There are studies from many different countries. It's not simply America. It's not just the CDC.

R: Okay, well, I study what I want to believe. You just go ahead and believe what you want to believe. How about that?

S: This is a belief that has been consistently disproven.

R: Do you have any kids on the spectrum?

S: No, I don't.

R: So how are you going to tell me how to feel about my son?

S: I'm not telling you how to...

R: It hasn't been disproven. It hasn't been disproven. You're telling me what you want to believe, and I'm telling you what I want to believe. It's just that simple. You don't have any facts that can say that I'm wrong. You're just telling me what you believe, and I'm fine with you believing that. But don't try to tell me what I can say and what I believe. I believe what I want to believe. And I say what I want to say. So you feel like I can believe it, then it shouldn't be anything else to talk about. What's the next question?"