Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthis serch writing for Rakim stuff is sad, like homeless dudes fighting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3019273
3019273, this serch writing for Rakim stuff is sad, like homeless dudes fighting
Posted by FunkyBoss, Wed Oct-02-19 02:28 PM
Have y’all been keeping track of this recent sadness?

Lord Sear is a terrible interviewer and told Rakim that Serch said that he wrote for Rakim. But that was never what Serch actually said. Then Pete Nice gets in the mix and says even the actual story Serch has told, of lyor asking him to write for Rakim is fake.

Personally I loved 3rd bass but Serch always had some shadiness to him. And every single one of his stories were BS to me

Also his hip hop persona has not aged well,, like I said I really loved 3rd bass and will look at YouTube clips and it’s kinda embarrassing, maybe it’s just me but him at the Apollo doing gasface saying something like “yo is the original man in the house” is beyond cringeworthy
3019275, Lot of stuff going on with this story
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Oct-02-19 03:07 PM
For one, yes, Sear is a terrible interviewer, and misquoted Serch either intentionally or unintentionally to get some audio click bait.

As for the stuff with Pete, I take that with a grain of salt. Him and Serch have a very "complicated" relationship. This appears to be one of the times where they're on the outs. Pete seems to be taking offense to the implication that Serch wrote all of Steppin to the A.M., which I'm not sure Serch ever implied.

All that said, others have said that Serch has, shall we say, embellished a lot of his stories. Mostly it's people who didn't come out looking to good in the stories, but it's happened enough times that it's noticeable.

>Also his hip hop persona has not aged well,, like I said I
>really loved 3rd bass and will look at YouTube clips and
>it’s kinda embarrassing, maybe it’s just me but him at the
>Apollo doing gasface saying something like “yo is the
>original man in the house” is beyond cringeworthy

Eh, it was a different time. And showing respect to the originators was very much a real thing back then. I'd rather that than having rappers who don't even seem to actually like hip-hop.
3019281, RE: Lot of stuff going on with this story
Posted by FunkyBoss, Wed Oct-02-19 07:48 PM

maybe it’s just me but him at
>the
>>Apollo doing gasface saying something like “yo is the
>>original man in the house” is beyond cringeworthy
>
>Eh, it was a different time. And showing respect to the
>originators was very much a real thing back then. I'd rather
>that than having rappers who don't even seem to actually like
>hip-hop.

No man, not originators of hip hop. original man as in Africa the motherland original man of civilization. At least that’s how I took it, I never heard “original man” meant otherwise in hip hop. Pete Nice said originators. I felt he meant hip hop originators. But serch? Chubby Jewish white dude with nerd glasses dancing awkwardly at the Apollo just looks like pandering to me when he said that
3019277, Apparently 'alternative facts' are used by other people than Fox News
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Oct-02-19 05:58 PM
Like you, I was a fan of 3rd Bass. And even though Serch's track record as an executive is disappointing, I liked his persona and his earnestness as an artist. (even though it was extra and confusing at times)

I've never listened or heard of the interviewer before but this whole scenario reaks of the worst aspects of sensationalist, modern media. This guy basically started a conflict between the epitome of the mc as lyricist and someone who was an easy target simply to get clicks and downloads. Plus he didn't even name a source as he lied to Rakim. If you have something as substantial as that, you need a source.

Now this clown is getting two shows which will get a lot of listens out of some half-truth. Just the worst.
3019280, RE: Apparently 'alternative facts' are used by other people than Fox News
Posted by FunkyBoss, Wed Oct-02-19 07:19 PM
>I've never listened or heard of the interviewer before but
>this whole scenario reaks of the worst aspects of
>sensationalist, modern media.

Nah, that would actually make this sad situation understandable. But sear just sucks as a host is really what it comes down to

Lord Sear was the 3rd man in the studio with stretch and bobbito during their WKCR radio days. DJ for Kurious Jorge before that, funny man with the snaps, the dude gets love and props from basically all but him as an interviewer is horrible and it led to this situation. Don’t get me wrong No one cares but still for fans of 3rd bass it’s kinda sad. Did anyone catch pete and serch yesterday yelling at each other on the phone on sear’s show?

Also why doesn’t someone ask lyor if he remembers any of this.

Also Serch had a garbage daytime talk show that adds to me feeling his hip hop persona hasn’t aged well
3019299, That's what Serch gets going into Constipated Monkey territory...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Oct-03-19 12:38 PM
...Serch wasn't part of the crew who was Kurious Jorge, Zev, Subroc, Bobbito, Pete Nice, Cage, Lord Sear & Earthquake

3019287, Serch is beyond corny
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Oct-03-19 08:14 AM
All that dancing and shit. Dude is a joke imo. The cactus album is dope but his stories always sound like some bullshit. Unless Lyor confirms Serch story, dude is a liar imo.
3019288, Remember "The White Rapper Show" ?
Posted by Brew, Thu Oct-03-19 08:53 AM
3019290, Don’t remind me lol
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Oct-03-19 09:45 AM
3019294, in the previews for that show, Serch says to contestants:
Posted by High Society, Thu Oct-03-19 10:16 AM
If you can’t spit a verse from Reasonable Doubt from memory
this ain’t for you...

I was like whoa 😲 this is gonna be legit!
I was wrong.
3019297, LOLOLOL
Posted by Brew, Thu Oct-03-19 11:27 AM
>If you can’t spit a verse from Reasonable Doubt from
>memory
>this ain’t for you...
>
>I was like whoa 😲 this is gonna be legit!
>I was wrong.
3019304, hallelujah holla back
Posted by rdhull, Thu Oct-03-19 03:18 PM
lol

>If you can’t spit a verse from Reasonable Doubt from
>memory
>this ain’t for you...
>
>I was like whoa 😲 this is gonna be legit!
>I was wrong.
3019300, Remember his daytime Dr. Phil type show?
Posted by FunkyBoss, Thu Oct-03-19 12:43 PM
Dude had an intro like, I grew up in the hood now I’m going to give y’all advice. some stupid nonsense like that.
3019303, No way. No fucking way.
Posted by Brew, Thu Oct-03-19 03:00 PM
I wish you hadn't told me that lol.
3019368, Now I have to see video of this. Who has a link LOL
Posted by spirit, Sun Oct-06-19 10:47 PM

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
3019375, RE: Now I have to see video of this. Who has a link LOL
Posted by seandammit, Mon Oct-07-19 12:03 AM
https://youtu.be/9SNEZDvfXNo
3019376, He has this look on his face that says...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Oct-07-19 01:26 AM
He has this look on his face that says, I'm not sure why you're watching this. But since you are, let's get to the first guest.
3019385, Ugh.
Posted by Brew, Mon Oct-07-19 09:00 AM
3019528, Yo I am crying over here LMAO
Posted by Castro, Tue Oct-15-19 04:00 PM
3019534, All I know is that the Mom in that clip was looking good
Posted by Adwhizz, Tue Oct-15-19 09:11 PM
3019521, classic! hallelujah hollaback.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Oct-15-19 11:10 AM
3019497, bring up MC Hammer and Serch wont be laughing
Posted by LAbeathustla, Mon Oct-14-19 03:28 PM
3019502, The fact MC Hammer hasn't tried to sue him
Posted by Adwhizz, Mon Oct-14-19 06:36 PM
over claims he attempted to have him MURDERED makes me believe there's truth to that story