Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: uh-oh - issue with the song "What's Real"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3018862&mesg_id=3020438
3020438, RE: uh-oh - issue with the song "What's Real"
Posted by fontgangsta, Thu Nov-21-19 12:06 PM
DJ PREMIER ACCUSED OF JACKING GURU SONG FOR NEW GANG STARR ALBUM: “HE’S TRYING TO MAKE MONEY OFF A SONG HE KNOWS WAS STOLEN”
Cyrus LanghorneNovember 20, 2019 5:35 pm
EXCLUSIVENEWSNEWS FLASH

Rap pioneer DJ Premier has some explaining to do. East Coast hip-hop artist Fong Sai U has accused the iconic producer of using one of his songs for an unauthorized Gang Starr song off the newly released One of the Best Yet album.

According to the hip-hop veteran, Premo illegally purchased Fong’s “What’s Real” 2015 song from an outside source, kept the title and hook for this year’s Gang Starr project.

“ Solar sold DJ Premier my song with Guru – ‘What’s Real’ – a song that I previously put out in 2015 on my Ballads of a Massacre album and own the rights for. Between 2000 and 2001 me and Guru worked a lot. I produced “OG Talk” on 2001’s Baldhead Slick & da Click album under my other alias Divine. The only other person that was around was Phat Gary, Guru’s road manager at the time. That f*ck boy Solar wasn’t in the picture until 2005 after alerting DJ Premier of the situation. He made a BS offer instead of owning up to his mistake. He let devil Solar pull a fast one on him again. The sad part about all this is Solar is still out here causing confusion.” (SOHH)

Fong Sai also shared deep words to the memory of his late collaborator and said Premo has to ultimately rectify the situation.

“I wish Guru could just rest but what’s right is right and wrong is wrong and DJ Premier is trying to make money off a song he know was stolen and to keep promoting the album like he has no idea he stole a song and changed the beat. That hook is my concept. The majority of what Guru is spitting, mine. This is Guru before he became sober and a lot of times it was hard for him to pen sh*t because of the alcohol but that’s my brother and the only one that gave my production a chance so in my eyes he can do no wrong. But Premier has to make it right. Period. That very was very sentimental to me because that’s a memory that can’t be replaced.” (SOHH)