Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthuh? How would Drake have been any less pandering?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3018862&mesg_id=3020245
3020245, huh? How would Drake have been any less pandering?
Posted by Stadiq, Wed Nov-13-19 02:19 PM
>No disrespect to Joey, but fuck that pandering-ass shit.
>
>It would've been cool to hear Drake on it, because he's a good
>writer and would've had some interesting lyrics, plus he's a
>genre-transcendent megastar who's rooted in hip hop. But
>hearing J.Cole on there saying shit like "look at the youth
>like a precious pebble".... FOH. Proof that the standard of
>modern lyricists is a major step backwards from the golden
>age.
>

I agree Joey would have been pandering. Same for Drake though. And Cole. And even Kendrick, who is by far the best artist out of the four I just typed.

I'd argue that Drake would be *extra* pandering because...well, because its fucking Drake. Dude is more of a pop star than a rapper.

No way a Drake feature would be less pandering than Joey or Cole. At that point, fuck it put Gamino or go all in for the young crowd and put Young Thug on it.

All of it is pandering.

No matter who the artist is, I think its pretty transparent cash grab to put a *current* artist on a posthumous release, when they never even met or are even cut from the same cloth/era in any way.

That's why I was so surprised so many were cool with Cole on it.

As a Pac fan, I've lived through this for shit...going on 20 years now. It bugged me then and it bugs me now. Don't put fucking Drake on a Gangstarr record. Don't put fucking Eminem on a Biggie song. Don't put fucking Trick Daddy or Eminem on a Pac song.

Get people who at least sort of new these guys, or at the very least *may* have worked with them back in the day.