Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectit's been a year
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3017876&mesg_id=3026464
3026464, it's been a year
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Aug-20-20 12:56 PM
(in so many ways)

Completely by chance, I put this on just now and thought, "It was about a year ago that this came out, wasn't it?"

And it is, to the day.

Honestly, this is one of my favorite hip hop records of (at least) the last five years. It was in my steady rotation for at least six months following its release and I regularly pull it out and play it pretty much straight through, skipping only a few of the skits. Phonte and Big Pooh are sharing real life experience here, and bar for bar both are in top shape -- plus their group energy is just infectious. (I could listen to them trade verses on the last track all day...)

And I still find shit I hadn't noticed before with each verse.

I would love to get another record from them (and soon!) but if this is their last, it's hard to think of a better way to go out. Might swing back through and post some of my favorite lines later but thought I'd encourage folks to give it a listen if you haven't in a while -- it's a grounding record and we could all use that right now.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~