Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectPhonte had spoke on it in the past when discussing...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3017876&mesg_id=3018316
3018316, Phonte had spoke on it in the past when discussing...
Posted by daskap, Fri Aug-30-19 11:16 AM
How the rift with 9th came to be. 9th basically stopped touring with them and recording the music after the debut, Khrysis and Big Dho were more involved with actually recording the music after The Listening. Here is Phonte in an interview yesterday where he spoke on just the recording process(no beef).

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.52647/title.interview-little-brother-explains-why-they-kept-may-the-lord-watch-a-secret

HipHopDX: I noticed you co-produced songs like “Right On Time,” “What I Came For” and “Sittin Alone,” among others. How was it juggling all of that? Was it different than other albums?

Phonte: Yeah. It was different in some ways. I had always been a producer in Little Brother. I mean, I’m not a beat maker, but I produced like all the records, no matter who was making the beats. I was always very hands on in terms of producing, arranging and sequencing. The Listening — that was me, Pooh and 9th Wonder together. But everything that came after that — from Getback to Separate But Equal to the mixtape with DJ Drama and The Minstrel Show — I put those records together. That was me.

I just want to make sure it’s funky. This time around it was different because me and Pooh, we recorded this record. I have my studio in my crib and so when we sat down, before we started, we just made the decision that we were going to do everything together. We’re going to do this together. This is going to be us.

Every song we wrote together, so when he would come down to my house, he pretty much would move in. He’d come in and he’d stay in my guest room and we’d just get up and go get lunch, talk, listen to some tracks, bop some ideas around and might record something. I was also acting as engineer as well.