Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectmy 33+ hour tribute to all things Jay Dee/J Dilla/James Yancey
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3017721&mesg_id=3017721
3017721, my 33+ hour tribute to all things Jay Dee/J Dilla/James Yancey
Posted by araQual, Mon Aug-12-19 07:21 AM
welcome to the first CONFESSIONS OF A CURLY MIND broadcast of 2019 (my podcast/show for the last 2yrs), 9 months in the making, celebrating the life & times of Mr. James Yancey (aka Jay Dee aka J Dilla). even before his untimely passing in 2006, Dilla Dawg was already a mythologised, legendary figure within the hip hop pantheon. his work was so distinct, stunningly influential and incredibly vast, that i knew i would be staring down the barrel of my largest show, and project, ever.

as per the many interviews and testimonials you'll hear scattered throughout the show, Dilla's overall style and swag when it came to creating music ultimately ended up influencing not only a whole new generation of beat makers, but also how live musicians played their shit. a TRUE artist and the godfather to an entire sound, Dilla was by all accounts a humble and modest individual, but also loved his ice, his trucks & getting faded with his friends n fellow musicians. personally speaking, as is the case for a lot of the fans who grew up listening to his music and didn't have the privilege of knowing him as just James, his influence on my own musical journey can't be overstated.

as a result, this show goes for a whopping 33 hours, 30 minutes & 59 seconds. truly a Dilla Day-and-a-bit, & a reverent tribute to both the man AND the musician, as told by not only my nasal ranting, but by audio clips of those closest to him speaking on his life, his skills & his legacy.

due to SoundCloud's 6hr45min length limitation, the show will be broken up into 6 parts for your convenience. parts 2-6 will be posted in the replies. the TRACKLIST runs 711 joints long, each part's list will be in the post. but for now, smoke em if you got em, and remember to TURN IT UP!

(originally broadcast in its entirety via Blue-in-Green:RADIO on 11/08 >>> http://www.blueingreenradio.com).