Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat do you call it when Artist start overdoing it? Baroque Period?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3017574
3017574, What do you call it when Artist start overdoing it? Baroque Period?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Aug-06-19 03:07 PM
Swimming with Dolphin's period?

I am talking about that period or album after an artist blows up so they start doing stuff like adding orchestras or choirs to their songs when they were way more interesting with just like their small band or a mic and a dope beat. When they start doing collaborations not because it makes sense but because now they can get Elton John on the track.

I think of Prince when he went into his NPG phase. Axel Rose swimming with dolphins. I almost think of Kanye Late Registration but he actually kind of pulled it off.

You know what I am talking about? I am thinking the music heads would have a term for this. Is there?

If you know what I am talking about name some other artist and the albums in which they jumped that shark.

Or

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
3017585, Sting
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Tue Aug-06-19 11:03 PM
When Sting went solo, when his first few albums came out ("Dream Of The Blue Turtles", "Nothin Like The Sun", & "Soul Cages"), I liked the more mellow version of The Police type vibe, but then he started doing all these collaborations with world music & classical artists, and even getting into that new age sound even deeper but once in a while still try to do a few modern-vibe rock ballad tunes on the same album as well; but during each of those albums he would drop a live album with an artist you didn't think he would get with (and he still does that, those Shaggy collaborations wasn't good to me but I guess some people loved it), do a Spanish album, a semi-classical album, celtic albums, & etc.

3017586, If Late Registration is Kanye's Baroque period
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Aug-07-19 12:25 AM
what would you call My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy? I thought the Kanye album you would reference would be MBDTF. You bring up the point about LR and with good reason because that album was trying too hard in a lot of ways. But like you said, he managed to make it all stick.

Or would MBDTF be like Smile! but actually released on time?
3017592, Honestly, I was thinking MBDTF may be his Baroque Album.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-07-19 10:25 AM
But I actually don't know that album well enough to know it's accurate. In fact, until I just googled it I didn't realize he had ELton John on that album. I mentioned Elton John in the OP as an exaggeration and was thinking of Eminem.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

3017615, Well, for starters the album cost close to $3M.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Aug-07-19 06:18 PM
All of the Lights has brass and I *think* Elton John on it.

It's Late Registration on steroids, and that's saying something.

That being said, it's arguably his best album (at least in the press). No matter what style - banger, posse cut, introspection, musical virtuosity - it hits the mark.

I'm not really a Kanye guy but after listening to DISSECT's season on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, the level of artistry really hit home. He put in his foot in that album.
3017617, Eh, his first 3 albums were all better than MBDTF
Posted by DJR, Wed Aug-07-19 09:26 PM
He made “big” records, both in sound and success, on those albums that weren’t nearly as long and pretentious.
3017622, I agree that MBDTF is a bit pretentious
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Aug-08-19 12:39 AM
But it also raised the idea of what a hip-hop album could be.

Maybe it's not his best but it's probably his most 'important'. That being said, outside of Monster and Power, I don't listen to it as often as Late Registration or Graduation.
3017628, In the worst way possible IMO haha.
Posted by Brew, Thu Aug-08-19 08:32 AM
>But it also raised the idea of what a hip-hop album could be.
3017626, LOL I've historically called it "My Beautiful Dark Pretentious Fantasy"
Posted by Brew, Thu Aug-08-19 08:31 AM
>He made “big” records, both in sound and success, on
>those albums that weren’t nearly as long and pretentious.

And I hated how everyone was so quick to label it his best.

I thought the backstory about the Hawaii exile and all that was really cool. And I definitely appreciate what went into the album. Lot of really cool moments.

But it's pretentious as fuck. And nowhere near his best album.
3017649, I'm not saying that I disagree with you
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Aug-08-19 11:26 PM
I had the same reaction of distaste when the videos to Power and Runaway dropped. 'How pretentious could you be? Making a hip-hop video about ballet? Another one with Renaissance imagery? GTFOH'

But couldn't the same be said of hip-hop fans who didn't like De la or The Roots or even Tribe for being 'arty' when hip-hop was more meat and potatoes?

BTW, I don't know why I'm trying to die on this hill. I didn't listen to the album for the longest and don't listen to it often. Must be happy to be back on OKP talking music. Ha!
3017653, That's a fair point.
Posted by Brew, Fri Aug-09-19 08:15 AM
My only counter to that argument would be that De La et al were significantly more talented and interesting. Haha.

And to be clear, I really like MBDTF. It was a grower for me.
3017654, De La, the Roots, and Tribe had the meat and potatoes too
Posted by DJR, Fri Aug-09-19 08:26 AM
I like MBDTF a lot more than any of his albums that have come out since. But it doesn’t compare to the first 3 IMO.

I mean....if anything, College Dropout was the one that was a bit influenced by Tribe and them. And that was a fantastic album.

MBDTF - I don’t know. Someone plays the same piano note for two minutes before Kanye starts warbling all dramatically about how much of a douche bag he is, and clowns are all “this is beyond the constraints of hip hop!” GTFOH. I hated that aspect of that album. Like I said....pretentious. Like it was “above” hip hop or something.

There were some great songs and moments on the album. All that extra stuff and the presentation of it hurt the album to me though.
3017655, Yea they did have the meat and potatoes, you're right.
Posted by Brew, Fri Aug-09-19 09:16 AM
>RE: De La, the Roots, and Tribe had the meat and potatoes too

>I like MBDTF a lot more than any of his albums that have come
>out since. But it doesn’t compare to the first 3 IMO.
>
>I mean....if anything, College Dropout was the one that was a
>bit influenced by Tribe and them. And that was a fantastic
>album.
>
>MBDTF - I don’t know. Someone plays the same piano note for
>two minutes before Kanye starts warbling all dramatically
>about how much of a douche bag he is, and clowns are all
>“this is beyond the constraints of hip hop!” GTFOH. I
>hated that aspect of that album. Like I said....pretentious.
>Like it was “above” hip hop or something.
>
>There were some great songs and moments on the album. All
>that extra stuff and the presentation of it hurt the album to
>me though.

Yea totally agreed. Someone noted that Late Registration stretched the limits of hip-hop and I agree, but on that album he went about it wayyyyyyy more tastefully and less pretentiously.
3017656, Yup - even on CD - like “Two Words”
Posted by DJR, Fri Aug-09-19 09:29 AM
That worked too, on the same front.

3017675, I agree
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Aug-09-19 05:20 PM
AFKAP (NERL) once made a post that said that Black music works best as folk art than high art. MBDTF is aiming for high art and it succeeds at that I guess but because it is high art I don't regard it as well as his more traditional albums.

Like you and Brew have been saying the album is a bit of a mess and its reception seemed obnoxious. So much so it took me several years to actually sit down and listen to it.

There are some great moments on it but like you, MBDTF isn't a favorite of Kanye's stuff but it is the best of the second 'phase' of his career.
3017708, Word. I listened to it like 2 or 3 times when it dropped but ...
Posted by Brew, Sun Aug-11-19 07:39 PM
>Like you and Brew have been saying the album is a bit of a
>mess and its reception seemed obnoxious. So much so it took me
>several years to actually sit down and listen to it.

... never appreciated it (beyond a couple of tracks) until like 3 or 4 years later.

I knew after 808s he'd never be the same, even going back to his rap roots. Once you make an album like that you're kinda saying you think you're more talented than you are lol
3017594, I forgot to mention this post was inspired by Chance's Big Day.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-07-19 10:25 AM

3017595, lmao! I knew it. I was gonna even mention the album here
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Aug-07-19 10:48 AM
but I was just railing about it in another post.
But yeah. EnVouge, SWV, Death Cab for Cutie, Shawn Mendes, CocoRosie, Randy Newman... in addition to Nickie, DaBaby, Gucci, Megan Thee... like what are you even going for?
3017598, dude made a soundtrack?
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Aug-07-19 11:07 AM
that's a lot of folks.
3017605, randy newman and shawn mendes are the biggest what??
Posted by mista k5, Wed Aug-07-19 01:13 PM
to me the chance album sounded like trying to recreate late registration era albums. big budget albums were so bloated back then.

i didnt hate the chance album but it definitely needed some trimming.
3017619, "E.L.E." is probably the start of Busta Rhymes baroque period
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Aug-07-19 11:45 PM
I don't think it ever really stopped for him though.

He'd had long albums before, but that one was 80 minutes. Overblown production. Janet Jackson AND Ozzy Osborn features. Just too much.
3017657, thats a good example
Posted by mista k5, Fri Aug-09-19 09:32 AM
i had that cd and i rocked with it. it still has some of my favorite songs but so much filler.
3017756, yep.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-13-19 10:56 AM
3017620, LL Cool J's "14 Shots to the Dome"
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Aug-07-19 11:49 PM
Though I guess some would say "Walking With a Panther," but I feel like that album gets a bad rap.

After going back to basics with "Mama Said..." he got waaaaaay into excess with "14 Shots..." and did way too much. Tried kicking hardcore gangsta shit. Multiple attempts to recreate the success of "Around the Way Girl." And "Crossroads," with its full orchestra is just overblown nonsense.
3017652, lol why baroque?
Posted by shockzilla, Fri Aug-09-19 03:06 AM
3017658, RZA's Bobby Digital falls in this category for me
Posted by spitfire, Fri Aug-09-19 10:04 AM
RZA changed it up and went all out with the instruments to disappointing results (and i liked his Bobby album)
3017709, ^
Posted by Brew, Sun Aug-11-19 07:39 PM
3017751, wasn't that when he lost so much work to the flood ???
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Tue Aug-13-19 08:37 AM
....seems like he just said fuck it and started making lazy doo doo with keyboards

3017673, i think freddie gibbs is in this mode rn
Posted by bearfield, Fri Aug-09-19 04:04 PM
he's way overdoing it on /bandana/. his rapping feels like mahavishnu orchestra-era john mclaughlin guitar solos when it needs to be more like eddie hazel, especially over low-key, soulful madlib beats. he's doing the voice straining/breaking thing way too often, he's rapping in the triplet flow when it's unnecessary and doesn't gel with the beat, and his pocket is weirdly in and out. he's lost his measured delivery in favor of this forced expressiveness and it's not working for me. i think it started with "andrea" from /you only live 2wice/ and he's just kept it going since
3017676, Maybe Radiohead - Kid A?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Aug-09-19 05:24 PM
Granted the band made some great music in the second part of their career. But like Kanye's MBDTF they completely changed the way they approached their album, the main songwriter seemed to be in the middle of a nervous breakdown, the praise of the album was a bit over the top, and the songs seem to be trying too hard.

And there are strings. (How to Disappear Completely)
3017752, I forgot when an artist starts picking up a new instrument or genre.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Aug-13-19 10:03 AM
I am thinking of Lauren Hill deciding she is a guitarist. Same with B.O.B.

Common discovering Jimmy Hendrix.

Mos Def and his rock band?

Someone mentioned RZA going to live instruments.

3017769, Does D'Angelo playing the guitar on Black Messiah count for you?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Aug-13-19 05:40 PM
3017770, No. My dude spent like decades between albums getting nice with it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Aug-13-19 05:55 PM
At least he was good enough that I never thought, who is that subpar guitar player on this song?
3017775, Good point.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Aug-14-19 12:04 AM
His playing was good. Much better than Lauryn or Dre 3K on their Baroque albums.
3017753, The flyover planes in "Somebody's Gotta Die"
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-13-19 10:45 AM
The first song on Biggie's Life After Death had the sound effects of the flyover planes. I was like, "Oh snap, they got money now!" That's the first thing I thought of when I read this post.
3017878, does kendrick's damn count for this?
Posted by agentzero, Sat Aug-17-19 06:37 PM
3017885, Not for me. That was a dope album, just a different lane than TPAB
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Aug-17-19 07:47 PM
3017923, Doesn't count if you pull it off. I also don't count when an artist gets
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Aug-19-19 10:52 AM
for lack of a better way to describe it, "too deep" or decides to become less commercial.

De La Soul's Buhloone Mindstate was a departure from De La Soul is dead and way less accessible, but it's an amazing album.

Or even Prince deciding to do follow up the monster Purple Rain with Around the World in a Day.

It seems like in both instances the artist knew they were making a smaller less accessible record.

I think artist go wrong when they try to make a BIG artsy record and they think the rules of pop songs don't apply anymore and they can make anything into a pop record.

If that makes sense.