Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: the catch-up post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3017539&mesg_id=3017589
3017589, RE: the catch-up post
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Aug-07-19 09:42 AM

Agreed on most of these.
- The skits are unnecessary and boring.
- Hot Shower should've been a goofy mid-album-campaign b-side with a goofy video.
- Get a Bag is just plain boring even though I kind of like the beat itself.
- Found a Good One is similar - honestly, take Chance's verses (if we can call them that) and the "I ain't single no more" refrain off, just leave the beat and the sung "found a good one" hook, and I'd be down.

I would also remove:
Slide Around
Handsome
Roo
Big Fish - the better of the trappish tracks (imo) but still feels really out of place and overall pretty boring

I'm mixed on these tracks:
- Let's go on the run: I hate the chorus but I actually like the track overall, his half sung verses are kind of fun, and the quiet spoken verse over the drums on the outro is cool to me.
- The Big Day - This has been in my head since I first listened to the album and I've really come around no it except for the screaming section at the end.
- Town on a Hill - I think this is one of the better executed moments of the album - it's got a sense of that fragility that feels authentic.
- 5 Year Plan - I really want to like it, I get it, but it feels like a really good example of the rapping rut he's in - it is surprisingly predictable in cadence, in feel, etc.

Honestly, the ideal out of this would look something like (without adjusting for sequencing):
All Day Long
Do You Remember
Eternal
We Go High
I Got You
The Big Day
Ballin Flossin (honestly, one of my fav tracks on the record aside from the chorus)
5 Year Plan (maybe - I could take it or leave it)
Sun Come Down
Town on a Hill
Zanies and Fools

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~