Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Love the Cordae album. Came out of nowhere for me.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3017539&mesg_id=3017543
3017543, RE: Love the Cordae album. Came out of nowhere for me.
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Aug-05-19 03:32 PM
> Then I just happened to come across his
>name later elsewhere and heard one of the same tracks I heard
>at the 'shop and checked out the album immediately.

Yeah - I'd heard his name once or twice but had no idea what to expect, saw the Chance and A.Paak features so pressed play on a whim. Really solid album, surprisingly little filler and he's rapping his ass off for a good portion of it. Reminded me of how I felt when I first heard Joey Badass - he's got a similar cadence, similar respect for past production styles and emcees, and brings it all together in a way that feels really fresh.

>As for Chance I really like his album as well, though not as
>much (at least right now) as Coloring Book. It's a little
>long. But has some great moments. And I just love Chance's
>whole general presence. Dude is just beaming w/positivity and
>you can feel it as you listen to his music.

I think some of the hate I've seen has been excessive, but I have to admit I'm kind of disappointed with it -- I actually think the length of the album really worked against him, as there's some really great material but you have to sit through a fair amount of filler to get there. And since the album doesn't have a real cohesive or identifiable sound (like Coloring Book did), it feels like more of a mixtape than his mixtapes did. I need to give it a bit more time though... a few tracks (like Eternal) have already received a lot of repeats in the car and I have a feeling other tracks might do the same.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~