Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLove the Cordae album. Came out of nowhere for me.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3017539&mesg_id=3017541
3017541, Love the Cordae album. Came out of nowhere for me.
Posted by Brew, Mon Aug-05-19 03:17 PM
I was literally in the barbershop the day the album apparently came out (I found that out later) and they were listening to some Sirius hip-hop station; and they were interviewing Cardae and kept playing clips of the tracks from the album. My head was bobbing to each track haha so I tried Shazam'ing but the album was obviously brand new so it wasn't picking anything up. Then I just happened to come across his name later elsewhere and heard one of the same tracks I heard at the 'shop and checked out the album immediately.

Shit is really, really good. I love the production, it's soulful but modern at the same time. And the kid can spit. I feel like he has room for growth in terms of flows and rhyme schemes (got a little repetitive as the album went on) but other than that he's got a lot of skill and potential to build on it. He's got good presence on the mic too.

As for Chance I really like his album as well, though not as much (at least right now) as Coloring Book. It's a little long. But has some great moments. And I just love Chance's whole general aesthetic. Dude is just beaming w/positivity and you can feel it as you listen to his music. This album isn't groundbreaking by any means but w/Chance I don't feel like I'm even really looking for that. He's just enjoyable to listen to and consistent.