Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAZ & Primo or Redman & Pete Rock?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3013983
3013983, AZ & Primo or Redman & Pete Rock?
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
These were two of the best MC/Producer collaborations in the 00s from 90s artist that we really didn’t get in the 90s

Which two joints do you prefer and which MC/Producer would you rather get a full album from?

(Yes I know PR did How To Roll but I don’t see that as one of those undeniable PR bangers for whatever reason)

Poll question: AZ & Primo or Redman & Pete Rock?

Poll result (12 votes)
The Come Up & The Format (8 votes)Vote
Gimme One & Best Believe (4 votes)Vote

3013984, Are these singles? Or from albums?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Feb-15-19 07:38 PM
Could you name the projects?

No need for links, but I haven't heard any of the tracks and the titles would help me out.
3013985, I believe 3 of them were singles...
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Feb-15-19 08:18 PM
The Come Up is from AWOL

The Format is from The Format

Gimme One is from Red Gone Wild

Best Beleive is from Pete’s NYs Finest

3013986, AZ & Preem off the strength of The Format alone.
Posted by Brew, Fri Feb-15-19 08:44 PM
But I am def a fan of all 4 songs.
3013988, These are the joints that make me think...
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Feb-15-19 10:48 PM
“Why can’t yall just do joints like this ALL the damn time!”

Lol
3013991, lol honestly.
Posted by Brew, Sat Feb-16-19 07:42 PM
This is why the first PRhyme album is my favorite of the last few years. That shit was just straight FIRE beats, FIRE rhymes, short and to the point ... no need for filler.

Why can't all our MCs/producers just do this, even if it's only every once in a while ?
3013993, Agreed but...
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Feb-16-19 09:31 PM
I’m one who didn’t like all the guests on PRyhme 1
3014002, Word word. I didn't mind them personally but ...
Posted by Brew, Sun Feb-17-19 12:22 PM
... considering how short the album was I'd have preferred if it was 90% Preem/Royce rather than all the guests.
3014003, Did you not like PRhyme 2?
Posted by Anonymous, Sun Feb-17-19 12:25 PM
3014008, Hated it. Sadly.
Posted by Brew, Sun Feb-17-19 08:25 PM
I wanted/expected them to come back w/the same formula from PRhyme 1 so I was let down big time.

I need to go back to it. Cause I feel like my expectations set it up for failure. I'll probably like it a little more with lowered expectations.
3013987, AZ and Primo, no question to me
Posted by DJR, Fri Feb-15-19 10:20 PM
And I slightly prefer Pete over Primo as a producer and Redman over AZ as a rapper. While the Red and Pete joints were solid, The Come Up and The Format are incredible IMO.
3013989, Red & Pete Cause Primo Hasn't Been The Same In A Long Time
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri Feb-15-19 11:45 PM
I feel like Premier has been in stuck in a rut ever since he started doing his XMRadio show "Live At HeadQcourterz", it's like he has focused on doing more quantity than quality since 2012.

I've seen him change up his style, his routine production methods, and tries to sample less & less, he's been getting comfortable, before he would switch up his drums every few years but now it's been like one long run of the same, not sure if he changed up engineers or what but his music doesn't have that same luster as before.

Pete Rock hasn't been the same in years either but he still has gems where every fourth of fifth beat will be that jawn we all know from him.

Maybe I'm just tired of hearing AZ rhyme, he doesn't say anything special for me, infact he never did, yeah I liked his first album, but to me it sounds like he's just recycling the same subject matter & words around song after song; that's the reason why I stopped listening to M.O.P. they done threatened & murdered everyone they can think of in their rhymes.

Method Man, is a weird one, cause for a while I was starting to get bored of him too, but in the past few years, his new rhymes got some hidden thought in them, his flow got new energy in them, he knows how to ride any beat given to him, not too many emcees or rappers can do that and keep your interested in hearing more.

3013992, Couldn't disagree more vehemently re: Preem.
Posted by Brew, Sat Feb-16-19 07:45 PM
I feel like his rut was PRE-2012, like maybe 2003ish through 2012. He was doing that same sort of stop and go beat, with empty space. Everything was the same formula.

Since 2012 ? Hell no. He's dropped a TON of gems. PRhyme. The beat for Documentary 2 for Game. Etc. He was on fire in like 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Since then I think it's been more hit and miss again. But in that early aughts time period he was dropping banger after banger. PRhyme (the first one) alone deads any "Preem lost it" argument, IMO.
3013994, Agreed...
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Feb-16-19 09:32 PM
But DJ Joey is usually a tad off from my opinion so I didn’t respond lol
3014024, I voted PR and Red just on the strength of Gimme One
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Feb-18-19 10:23 PM