Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectCan you fill me in on how K Pop became IT?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3013251&mesg_id=3014231
3014231, Can you fill me in on how K Pop became IT?
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Feb-27-19 02:54 PM
A decade ago it seemed like there might be a Jpop moment but then Kpop blew the hell up two or three years ago. I never figured out how, whether it was a result of Gangnam Style being such a massive hit or what - but most of the stuff that seems big is a far cry from that. SO I don't really understand why either is big here, nor why/how Korea came to dominate the US market so quickly.*

My only theory is that by the time the last wave of really successful manufactured pop acts matured, the market for American acts kinda fell flat so the industry stopped producing them; and Korea and Japan have never stopped making that stuff. (Which seemed really weird to me living in Japan in the mid-90s when it was completely dead here, but then in 99 NSync, Backstreet, ,Britney, Xtina etc.)

My library is sponsoring a teens Kpop dance group activity. Feels really weird. I never click on the articles but even so I get Apple news headlines about so and so having left GreenStreet737B for a solo career. It's weird that Apple would think that's big enough news to interest me.

*maybe that has something to do with Jpop's self-limited availability here?