Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: For me it's the quicker releases are the biggest innovation.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3013172&mesg_id=3013194
3013194, RE: For me it's the quicker releases are the biggest innovation.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Jan-13-19 11:39 PM
>I'm so glad that we are past the
>
>-First single
>.....wait a month
>-Second single
>....album drop
>
>....of the past. Now it's mostly: Here's a song, my album
>drops next week....while everyone scrambles to cover (or
>uncover) it.
>

Right. The current way is 'no filler'. There's so much music coming out week to week that most artists don't have the brand needed to hold their audiences attention for a new album for weeks on end. Plus, even back 'then' we really just wanted to hear the album after we heard the single, if the song was dope.

It took 20 years but the industry finally caught up to the public.

>I've noticed that a lot of 2019 album preview lineups are
>lacking, because we don't really know anymore. Besides people
>living in secrecy for some reason (hi DangerMouse) and those
>who don't know what they're doing until it done everyone else
>has some sort of plan that doesn't go into motion until the
>last second.
>
>I hope what happens next blooms off of what DreamVille is
>doing with their group record by inviting people publicly to
>help make the record and letting us peek in. I'd imagine some
>of us wouldn't like that tho.

I know Esperalda Spaulding did something similar. She livestreamed her recording sessions as she made an album. I never checked out that footage but that was in interesting concept.

The 'crowdsourcing' of songs, like Dreamville seems to be trying seems like it could be a good idea. Although, sometimes art works better when the decisions aren't democratic.

As far as the footage of the Dreamville sessions, I would think it would have to be edited.

Outside of wild smoke / drinking sessions, I can't think the process of creating an album is that exciting to view.

From the footage I've seen, most of the time the musicians are kind of noodling around trying to find something to base a track on. I'd imagine seeing ten hours of that day after day would be boring to most folks.