Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectartists you subliminally compare in your mind
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3010221
3010221, artists you subliminally compare in your mind
Posted by SsenepoD, Mon Oct-08-18 02:40 AM
I've been running back some of my favorite albums from the year to sort of narrow down my go to playlists & noticed I had Black Milk's "Fever" & Oddisee's "Iceberg" running back & forth.

Then it hit me - I've always sort of paired them together throughout their career. i got into their music at about the same time, they were producing random cuts for other artists I liked, I felt they were better beatmakers than producers (& rappers). they put out projects I liked, their production really evolved every time out, they got so much better as rappers. every year they've ended up in my favorite projects. I realized I always sort of compared them to each other, in a sense of seeing them on the same kind of path.

others I do it bc of an intertwined past (Thurz & YO from UNI for example), or curren$y & whiz. etc.

Any artists like that for yall?
3010253, RE: artists you subliminally compare in your mind
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Oct-08-18 01:29 PM
>I've been running back some of my favorite albums from the
>year to sort of narrow down my go to playlists & noticed I had
>Black Milk's "Fever" & Oddisee's "Iceberg" running back &
>forth.
>
>Then it hit me - I've always sort of paired them together
>throughout their career. i got into their music at about the
>same time, they were producing random cuts for other artists I
>liked, I felt they were better beatmakers than producers (&
>rappers). they put out projects I liked, their production
>really evolved every time out, they got so much better as
>rappers. every year they've ended up in my favorite projects.
>I realized I always sort of compared them to each other, in a
>sense of seeing them on the same kind of path.
>
>others I do it bc of an intertwined past (Thurz & YO from UNI
>for example), or curren$y & whiz. etc.
>
>Any artists like that for yall?

I do the same with Milk and Odd

Also, I used to compare Milk and Oh No as Detroit and Cali counterparts, but then.. Milk quickly surpassed Oh No in terms of a solo rapping career.

3010261, Radiohead and Coldplay
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Oct-08-18 05:47 PM
Both British bands who came up at the same time and had progressive instrumentation.

Radiohead was the art-rock band and Coldplay the pop success.

ATCQ and De La Soul

Both had great production and MC's with unique, distinctive personalities. Tribe was a bit more grounded while De La loved to innovate and shift their taste from album to album.

Dilla & Madlib

Both were underground producers who were somewhat of an acquired taste for me. But were very witty and clever with their sample choices. Also both were technical wizards and were innovative in their lo-fi approach.

Kendrick Lamar & Jay Electronica

Both were fast-tracked into the role of Savior of hip-hop. I look back at Jay and think Kendrick had the career that Jay ought to have had.

Kendrick Lamar & Lupe Fiasco

Both lyricists of great abilities. Also, really good song writers. Maybe if Lupe had better handlers (and a bit more robust personal filter) he might have had the acclaim as Kendrick. Not that I think he's salty about Kendrick's success.

Nas & Jay-Z

Both Kings of New York at some point. Nas is the novelist, Jay the Hollywood screenwriter. Nas' peak is brighter but Jay's floor is much higher than Nas' and an as a result more consistent.

I'm running out of steam. Here are a few more.

Michael Jackson & Prince

Janet Jackson & Madonna

Redman & Method Man

2Pac & Biggie

Mos & Talib

Mos & Common

Common & The Roots

The Roots & Tribe

Mos & Pharoahe Monch

Snoop & Tha Dogg Pound

Daz & Kurupt

DJ Shadow & RJD2