Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI like the year by year thing you did.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3009724&mesg_id=3009805
3009805, I like the year by year thing you did.
Posted by Brew, Thu Sep-27-18 11:25 PM
This will get lengthy. I think that per year, you can probably have up to maybe 3 albums you burn through endlessly to fit your criteria. I tried to do 1 per year but some years I remember absolutely frying a few CDs so I had to put them all in. Still, I narrowed it down the best I could. Obviously some albums were played way more than others but these are albums I recall staying in rotation for front to back listens for months on end, if not longer.

I'll do a list of albums I bought and beat to death upon their release, then a list of albums I heard maybe a couple years after they were released but subsequently, beat them to death as well. Haha. I'm sticking to hip-hop for now, but will hopefully be back later to add some other genres if I remember. Also I skipped a couple years just cause no albums stick out off the top of my head as ones I listened to endlessly.

Real time:
1992 - The Chronic
1993 - Doggystyle
1994 - Regulate ... G Funk Era
1995 - Dogg Food, and still Doggystyle & G Funk Era haha
1996 - All Eyez on Me
1997 - *sigh* No Way Out
1998 - It's Dark and Hell is Hot, Slim Shady LP, Aquemini
1999 - Chronic 2001, Things Fall Apart, Black on Both Sides, I Want It All
2000 - Like Water for Chocolate, Quality Control, Train of Thought (which is the album on this list I've probably listened to the most out of any)
2001 - The Blueprint
2002 - Phrenology, Eminem Show
2003 - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
2004 - The Grind Date
2005 - Be
2006 - Game Theory, Blue Carpet Treatment, Murray's Revenge
2007 - Graduation
2011 - Charity Starts at Home, Book of David
2012 - People Hear What They See, Life is Good
2014 - PRhyme

Albums I heard more than a year after they released but subsequently beat to death:
- Illmatic
- BlackStar
- Resurrection
- One Day It'll All Make Sense
- AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
- Efil4zaggin
- Safe & Sound
- Reasonable Doubt
- ATLiens
- Buhloone Mindstate
- Stakes is High

I'm probably forgetting a few but this list is comprehensive enough lol.