Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTotally hear you. Nostalgia is powerful when it comes to music.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3009724&mesg_id=3009744
3009744, Totally hear you. Nostalgia is powerful when it comes to music.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-26-18 01:23 PM
It transports you right back to the time/place you listened to it. It's kind of amazing. Kinda washes over you. I think the curiosity and innocence/naivety of youth plays a part in that nostalgia as well, in terms of all the unknowns and how music helps you through some of the anxiety. So those fixture albums from times like those are always special to us.

Funnily enough Quality Control holds that sort of nostalgic position with me, along with several others of course. But I vividly recall buying that album when out visiting my aunt, uncle and their kids in California with my cousin when we were in high school. It has just dropped and I was super excited to get my hands on it. The first couple notes of the title song will always transport me right to the back seat of my aunt's car, when I remember reading the liner notes and both she and my cousin were asking me "what the hell kinda name is Jurassic 5 ?!" haha.

And the hip-hop purity of that album was such a throwback, it stayed in rotation for a long time. It's not a perfect album by any means, and as you touched on it may not even be their best or most consistent front to back ... but it's def my favorite.