Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI appreciate a more detailed review
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3001454&mesg_id=3037816
3037816, I appreciate a more detailed review
Posted by mista k5, Fri May-06-22 03:54 PM
We don't do those often here and we should try to.

I have only listened to the album two times. I did find that since I had to listen to it on a separate app my listening was more deliberate. This was a rare occasion where I switched my plans once the album was out so that I could listen to it. I typically just wait on albums until I get the time to throw them on.

For this my first listen was at lunch in my car. I did add a 4 channel amp and a sub + amp to it. It might not be audiophile level but it's also not absolute crap. I didn't have any problems with the mixing. Reading on how it was recorded I was definitely expecting it to sound off. I think some vocals did sound a bit off on the first couple of tracks. I'm guessing there are bad RIPs out there. I hope people aren't listening to recordings from people's phone speakers when they listen to this lol

I enjoyed the first listen and I saw it as an album that will need repeat listens. I could tell I didn't catch most of it. It did sound like a cohesive and deliberate work, which I honestly wasn't sure we would get.

I then listened to it at work with my Momentum 3 cans, which is my default for listening to music. Again, no problems with the mixing. I think the album held up well on a second listen. I may have come down on it slightly.

Overall I do think it is missing the more upbeat vocals that grabbed you on the first album but I don't know that anyone was hoping or expecting the same sound on this one.

This is a more laid back album, kind of like Ka, Mach Hommy, Open Mike Eagle and such but for me, much more interesting delivery on the vocals. I definitely haven't spent anytime going through the lyrics so I can't speak on how those compare. On two listens the lyrics did not grab me. I think this is where there is potential that the album will fade for me. If on repeat listens the lyrics start grabbing me then I might end up with an even better opinion on the album.

As of now I wouldn't say it's the best album of the year but I think it's good enough to be up there with many others. I'd put it on a tier below my favorites.