Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Jazz in 2018 (New and Anticipated Releases)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2999991&mesg_id=3007134
3007134, RE: Jazz in 2018 (New and Anticipated Releases)
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Jul-05-18 10:41 AM
I know we're all digging on that new Kamasi right now, but just a suggestion to take some time and check out Charles Lloyd and the Marvels' new record w/Lucinda Williams, "Vanished Gardens" ...

(in fact, though Lloyd's general vision and aesthetic is rather different from Kamasi's, his actual style of playing shares more than a few similarities...)

Fair warning though: the first half of the album is pretty dark and soul-crushing, particularly the tunes w/Lucinda singing.

On that: Lucinda, Lucinda, maybe this is your time to take center stage in my listening life? I've always liked Lucinda, never *loved* her (though loved many of her tunes and admired both her voice and lyricism), often thought I just needed to spend more time with her and really dig in. This album doubles down on that: her voice on "Dust" is just... so rich with age and time and experience and all things that make music a force of cosmological scope and power. (It comes from Williams' most recent album, itself no small thing to be reckoned with.)
And could you come up with a more perfect match than Frissell's steel guitar and Lucinda's natural folkish cadence...

We don't talk enough about Lloyd around here --- that's a shame. He's on a roll right now at the end of a career that has been nothing but one long roll (from what I know of it, which is quite little in relation to his productivity): he's got a kickass band, kickass guests, and an impeccable sense of how to bring the many genre currents of American music together into something surprisingly organic and seamless.

Since ECM's stuff is available on streaming now, maybe time to visit that part of his catalog for a bit...