Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWelcome! Not to rehash that whole mess too much, but to be clear..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2988897&mesg_id=2989273
2989273, Welcome! Not to rehash that whole mess too much, but to be clear..
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Apr-25-17 10:30 AM
>I think you compared it to Game Theory which I still don't agree with.

The comparison was the dank, dark tone of much of the production. If you listen to GT and then BF back to back, you’ll see certain tonal “colors” and sound choices that are common among the two albums.
“False Media” and “In The Music” are the joints in question, though to that point I suppose I should have been more specific regarding those tracks. People kept harping on the notion that I was comparing Album A to Album B but I was comparing “Creative Element of Album A that reminds me of Creative Element of Album B”.

Frankly everyone was too busy trying to shoot that down rather than trying to understand what *I* was hearing. I think one person took a listen based on what I was saying and got it.

>I also find it funny that everyone says that Nas is their favorite and then turns around and says that he >only has one more two great albums. Kind of a strange statement.

I think Nas is an artist that’s polarizing among his own fans. Personally I have an issue with his general ability to craft complete albums without serious head scratching moments. HHID has some beautiful highs and with some ridiculously generic moments. This also digs into the heart of that Rawce post, since RR tends to have an impeccable ear for beats. Nas picks some dumb dope home runs but there’s far too many WTF? Selections in his catalog. Like, WAY too many for an MC of his caliber and stature.

As you said, I enjoy I Am, but as I stated in that post I do get how many don’t. I can rock it from start to finish but, again, some of those tracks are rough and badly dated. *I* enjoy it but it makes sense to me why so many don’t.

Far as Kendrick, it’s mostly a disconnect with his production choices for me. I want more “Watch Out For Detox” in the mix. If DAMN were more HUMBLE and DNA than YAH and ELEMENT I’d be all over it. While he’s the anti-Guru to me in that I prefer the “presentation” of Guru and his work to Kendrick, Kendrick is still the superior MC next to most. I just don’t get enough of what I want from him.

That’s pretty much the same criteria people are using when they say Nas only has one or two great albums, because they enjoy Kendrick’s albums on the whole more consistently than they enjoy Nas albums on the whole. Unlike Rawce, where those of us who enjoy his work actively overlook his mediocre rhymes because the aesthetics are usually so great, we never have to overlook Kendrick’s content or skill level.